Grand National Rear Disk Brakes???????

Status
Not open for further replies.

88cutdogcandy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 13, 2007
Atlanta,GA
I know this guy that is selling a 8.5 rearend that supposely came from a grand national t-type and it has disk brakes on the back,he lost the rotors and I have looked everywhere for these to replace them can't find nothing about rear disk on grand national.On the rearend it looks to be stamped JV82 but can't find this on anything?

The GN or T type did not come with rear disks although I`m not sure about the gnx. Doubt the rear end is from one of those. Only 547 made.

Does this diff have the mounts for the upper and lower control arms?
The F body 8.5 has the mounts for leaf springs.

R/T kota said:
The GN or T type did not come with rear disks although I`m not sure about the gnx. Doubt the rear end is from one of those. Only 547 made.

The rearend looks to fit Grand National w/mounting locations in correct locations,the rearend is on E-Bay with a buy it now of$650.00,and the guy is throwing in a 7.5 w/373 from a Monte Carlo ss free with it.He is located in Connecticut.I f I was to purchase rearend I would really like to check it out in person.

R/T kota said:

The rearend looks to fit Grand National w/mounting locations in correct locations,the rearend is on E-Bay with a buy it now of$650.00,and the guy is throwing in a 7.5 w/373 from a Monte Carlo ss free with it.He is located in Connecticut.I f I was to purchase rearend I would really like to check it out in person.

i saw that rear a while ago on ebay. if you look closely at the pics you can see the adapter plate for the rear discs. they are probably f-body or s-10 discs as they are the most common conversions.

It depends on the calipers used.82-87 F cars used a Delco-Moraine caliper that was cast Iron and had a smaller rotor than the later models. 88-92 F cars used a aluminum PBR caliper and a 11 or 12 inch rotor ( don't remember exactly). It is the better of the two as it has a parking brake that does not go out of adjustment as much as the earlier design. I am not sure of the S-10 or 4th gen F cars brakes, so I can't comment on them here. The other 2 possibilities would be the 1975-77 Cadillac Seville discs or the discs off a late 2nd gen F body like a WS6 Trans Am. Discs were even available on 1st gen F bodies under option code JL8, but are rare enough to be highly unlikely as a swap candidate. It's interesting to note that the mounting flange on a G body 8.5 is the same as all of the cars I mentioned. Also, disc brake 7.5's use the same flange as the 8.5. The drum brake 7.5, however, uses the unique 3 bolt flange that makes interchange more of a challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor