Attn.: GM now selling a (reincarnated) Buick Regal T-Type, Grand National, and GNX at your local GM dealer!

Maryland G-man

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Supporting Member
May 12, 2023
Folks,

Don't look now, but GM is quietly selling a modern version of the T-type, Grand National, and GNX at your local GM dealer.

No, not at a Buick dealer, but at dealers of its sister division, Cadillac.

The 2022 to 2024 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing is the modern heir apparent and spiritual successor to our beloved G-Body Regal performance cars of the 1980s.

Besides the C8 Corvette and Camaro, it is the only true performance car currently being offered by GM.

Consider the similarities with the Buick G-body performance cars:

• Rear wheel drive
  • V-6 engine
  • Turbocharged
  • Fuel Injected (of course)
  • A CT4-V model (analogous to the T-type), a CT4-V Blackwing (like the Grand National), and limited editions, such as "Sebring Edition" and "Watkins Glen Edition" (like the GNX)
  • Black as black can be color (both a traditional gloss black and a limited edition matte black)
  • And most importantly, just like the 1980's Buick G-body performance cars, scorching performance relative to anything available in the USA, Europe, and Japan.
  • Yes, I know it is a 4 door, and not a 2 door. But the G-bodies were full-fledged 4-seaters, so is that a major difference?
  • And we know this is essentially a 4-door Camaro, as it is built off of the same Alpha platform.
This is apparently the last, gasoline fueled, Internal Combustion Engine powered performance car by GM, besides the Corvette. No other gasoline performance cars (again, besides the Corvette) are under development at GM, as they prepare for widespread electrification.

Its base MSRP of $ 62,890 is comparable to a pristine condition Grand National, and probably much cheaper than any of the remaining run of 547 GNX units.

There was apparently some effort for folks such as yourselves who pleaded with GM to take the same Camaro, and adapt it as a modern version of the Buick Grand National, to be sold at Buick dealers. I saw some renderings, but this unfortunately will probably NEVER happen.

Now, hopefully enough of us will continue to buy, own, maintain, and restore G-body cars to keep this whole community and supply chain ecosystem going strong.

dealer indoors.jpg

front.jpg

Black BW.png

Yellow BW.png

Reactions: 4 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Disagree. It’s a Caddy and not a Buick and never will be. It’s closer to the old CTS-V than any Buick. Besides, unless you’ve got a four leaf clover growing out of your azz, you’ll never buy one new as they’re snatched up immediately when the ordering books open. With just a handful being produced, you’d be lucky just to see one let alone own one.

I can say a non-black wing CT5-V drives and rides better than any GN ever did. But since it’s a Cadillac, I would expect it to.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 5 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Yeah, I don't get why in modern times they didn't at least bring back the T Type. If I wanted one, it sure wouldn't be the V6 version. I would find one the awesome one year only DOHC 32 valve twin turbo hot V 4L V8. This still bottles my mind, GM made it so expensive to produce, made it Blackwing exclusive and hand assembled that they canceled almost right away! How is the interior for quality? I have been reading a few reviews, including the car I mentioned of cheap looking interiors from new GM products. GM doesn't want to make anything worth owning from Buick these days.

Reactions: 1 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Yeah, I don't get why in modern times they didn't at least bring back the T Type. If I wanted one, it sure wouldn't be the V6 version. I would find one the awesome one year only DOHC 32 valve twin turbo hot V 4L V8. This still bottles my mind, GM made it so expensive to produce, made it Blackwing exclusive and hand assembled that they canceled almost right away! How is the interior for quality? I have been reading a few reviews, including the car I mentioned of cheap looking interiors from new GM products. GM doesn't want to make anything worth owning from Buick these days.
Buick ONLY exists because of the Chinese affinity for it. Had that not existed it'd be axed as well. Consider that when looking at the brand and its handling at GM.

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Buick was only saved due to China. Nothing more. If Buick did decide to go with performance, they'd have done it by now. Based on the 2020 version, the CT5-V appointments are better than most, although they still use some cheap plastic here and there. The CT4 isn't much of a difference. A lot of it is covered with some sort of leather or something-hyde, and the pillars are foam filled I do believe for tonal noise reduction. I have to say it's a pretty quiet and solid car compared to most. Seats are comfy and ok for cruising, although Recaros or even the newer Blackwing high performance buckets would probably be a welcome option if you were getting sideways. Although that TT 3.0L 6 cylinder has that 6 cylinder sound that cannot be escaped no matter what grumbly exhaust you put on it. Performance-wise, 360 HP and 405 lbs/ft torque isn't anything to sneeze at as the car can and will get out of its own way with ease. But it's not a Blackwing. Handles extremely well if you put it in sport or track mode. But does just fine in grocery-getter tour mode as well. Any passenger will welcome a CT5 over a CT4 as the 5 is slightly bigger than the 4. Not by much, but even the 5 feels smaller to me when compared to a 5th gen Camaro. Why they even make 2 versions that look similar only slightly different in size is still beyond my comprehension.

Reactions: 1 user

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
They did make a modern Turbo Regal......
06.jpg.5f1f8e513addec1a25b5d4bd3a79f91c.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Sometimes, I wonder hoe long it will be, before GM goes the way of Ford, and ends up only marketing trucks and SUVs, with the possible exception of the Corvette.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Sometimes, I wonder hoe long it will be, before GM goes the way of Ford, and ends up only marketing trucks and SUVs, with the possible exception of the Corvette.

A lot of that is due to govt regulations which become tighter every year. Trucks have less strict regulations to meet than cars which is why most car manufacturers push truck based platforms like SUVs and crossovers.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor