Grand Prix headlight modification - opinions wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

79GP6.6L

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2006
Upstate NY
I've been a Grand Prix owner for a long time, and something about the headlight configuration has never looked quite right to me. I had some fun with photoshop today and this is what I came up with. The modified lights look a bit cleaner to me but I'm not 100% sure. Which do you guys like better?

Stock
y0fh.jpg

Modified
q9ix.jpg

Side by side
07kz.jpg

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
Re: Grand Prix headlight modification - opions wanted

Plastic is unpredictable if you try to cut on it. I think to do what you want to do you would have to mfr the bezel to the spec you need ahead of time. If you try to cut the old bezel it could be a disaster if you don't have more of them lined up to expiriment with b/c then you cant drive the car w/ the lights loose up there

79GP6.6L

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2006
Upstate NY
Re: Grand Prix headlight modification - opions wanted

I have a few extras I can experiment with if I decided to do this. I wouldn't cut up my original set. I might also look around to see if anything like this was ever offered on another car.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I think before I went through the hassle of trying to do that I would get a single style headlight set from an 80s Caprice and fit it in there. Then put the marker light next to the grill like you designed.

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
Might be tricky, but cool idea though.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
wow that would probably work & there are so many of those rotting @ the junk yard so you can probably get it for $5 ea. if you Jew them down. If it's too long just cut the ends off maybe & gain nearly an inch

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
That reminds me of the 76 and 77 Grand Prix's the 76 had the headlights together just like you want, and the 77 had the directionals split between the headlights. I know cause I had a 77 and a friend had a 76. It's all a preference I suppose.

SafariWagon

Master Mechanic
Jan 15, 2009
The version you want to switch to looks way better in my opinion. The Caddy lights look like they might work. I think I would also look for some one piece solid "euro" style ones to fit in there.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
It took me awhile to appreciate the 78-80 GP's natural ugliness. I hated them when I was in high school but now I like them for being different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor