Grand Prix rear spoiler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Munkey B

Greasemonkey
Jul 5, 2008
Detroit, michigan
pontiacgp said:
I took a Monte SS spoiler that I got from Jman and shortened it, cut it in two to adjust it for the contour of the GP truck lid and mounted it flush with the raised middle portion of the lid.

pics, pics, pics, pics :D

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Munkey B said:
pontiacgp said:
I took a Monte SS spoiler that I got from Jman and shortened it, cut it in two to adjust it for the contour of the GP truck lid and mounted it flush with the raised middle portion of the lid.

pics, pics, pics, pics :D

I though I had some but I can't find them on this pc but I do know they were on the sd card in my camera that was stolen so I'll take some more next time I'm at the race shop where my car is stored for the winter...

85_SS

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2005
Ontario, Canada
We used a Firebird spoiler on my parent's Cutlass. It requires some modification to fit an Olds due to the sunken mounting locations, but these spoilers are a perfect fit on a GP as the trunk is raised in the middle and it follows the body lines perfectly.

The factory Hurst Olds spoilers were modified firebird spoilers (hence the endcaps) and I'm certain the GP GT was a bone stock Firebird spoiler.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
That's what i was thinking too.I might as well pick one up when i see one and mock fit it on. I am interested what the SS Monte spoiler on looks on the Grand Prix though..

DSM

Apprentice
Feb 1, 2008
Michigan
85GPLef41 said:
I came across a 86 Firebird with a rear spoiler at the salvage yard and thought about pulling it for my GP. What i'm wondering other then the Grand Prix GT anybody else have a rear spoiler? Just wondering what it would look like in other Grand Prix's. Any pics?

Did this back in 1990 on my 83 GP. Spoler was off an 84 Trans Am. The only thing I really didn't like about it was that I always thought the spoiler was just a little too narrow. IMO it would look better if it was wide enough to meet the quarters.

83_GP_4a.jpg

83_GP_1990_A.jpg

DSM

Apprentice
Feb 1, 2008
Michigan
85GPLef41 said:
That's what i was thinking too.I might as well pick one up when i see one and mock fit it on. I am interested what the SS Monte spoiler on looks on the Grand Prix though..

The SS spoiler doesn't come close to fitting out of the box. Here are a couple shots of mine as it was being chopped up and glassed back together to fit my 85 GP.

spoiler_1.jpg

spoiler_2.jpg

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
Sweet! what year of SS did it come off of? I have been looking for the "laydown" one.I like the way the SS one looks compared to the firebird one, looks more "updated" i think. If i find one how much work is involved in making it fit and look factory? I don't know anything about fiberglass. :roll: May be easier to put the firebird one....

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I used an SS spoiler, formed the middle for the contour of the trunk lid and cut the ends to match raised part of the lid. I thought about extending the spoil to the full width of the lid but the lowered section of the lid do not follow the contour of the lid and it would look strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor