Greetings from Fairbanks, Alaska

Status
Not open for further replies.

swmn

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 23, 2010
I picked up a 1985 Grand Prix Brougham for my winter car (corporate 305, A3, 2.29 rear end, brown (oxidized purple?) exterior paint with the red velour interior, minimal rust since we don't salt the roads up here.

My summer car is a black Pontiac coupe with an M6, says 2004 GTO on it somewhere.

I have numerous electrical issues that get worse the lower the mercury drops. The doors sag so far the interior panel gets pulled off the door when I open it, I got a pretty severe transmission fluid leak and I am burning oil. Not so bad in the summer, but it looks like I am burning knotty pine for 30 minutes when I start it up at minus thirty.

I have 110VAC head bolt heater, oil sump heater and radiator fluid heater for temps under -20°F.

If I can get the electricals figured out I want to straighten the darn doors and then drop in rebuilt motor and transmission. Everything electronic in the car works, it just doesn't all work at once or on the same day.

The heater is AWESOME.

Honestly the GP is more fun in the winter than my GTO is in the summer. We don't even plow the snow in Fairbansk so much as pack it down by driving on it. Yes we plow a few of the major arterials, but mostly we drive on hockey rinks six months out of the year. My oil burning 305 can light up studded snows (at will) from September into April.

I am thinking factory spec 305 and A3, leave the rear axle alone, but I sure would like a class II hitch for moose season.

Can I do 350# tongue/ 3500# gross with 305, A3, 2.29:1 and fresh rear springs?

And probably rear shocks to go with the rear springs.

My goat has a full on aftermarket suspension (I tossed everything but the factory geometry), and I don't want to go there again just yet.

I bet throwing springs and hydraulics under the rear is going to screw with the suspension bias in a big way, more or less dictating some front end work.

At this point the GP is "fun" because I have less in it than a set of summer tires for the goat.

What I do want is a winter car that really can handle 2000# gross 300# tongue on a tow hitch.

What I don't want is two high dollar RWD Pontiac coupes to worry about year round.

TIA,
S

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor