Griffin Combo Unit CU-70007

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
Hey all. Has anyone ever installed on of these exact fit radiator/fan combo units from griffin? Stock style tanks and all. Wondering how well it fits and works. Pics would be great too.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
I've used that radiator before and i can tell you 100% your lower hose will not fit.the opening is larger than the stocker by a 1/4".you need a gates 22542.it's an upper hose for a 99 f350 diesel.trim it accordingly on the h20 pump side and it falls on.

Reactions: 1 user

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
Thanks for input, I am trying to see how radiator fitment is with fan. Looks like fan attaches direct to top and bottom of radiator. Curious if there is interference with hold down, core or pwr steering pump

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
the top of that radiator is an empty channel horzontally actually so fan mounting and the like no big deal.the stock rubber saddles will not fit like the stock rad because where the tanks meet the core is flat unlike the one you're taking out.i just utilized rubber stock with a hold down.

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
the top of that radiator is an empty channel horzontally actually so fan mounting and the like no big deal.the stock rubber saddles will not fit like the stock rad because where the tanks meet the core is flat unlike the one you're taking out.i just utilized rubber stock with a hold down.
This particular version is supposed to have actual crimped style at tanks to use factory insulators. Not have flat welds, the have a cheaper version that has that fabricated look

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
This is the picture it shows for the top for the CU-70007, I have a similar Griffen radiator in my Regal but it is universal and it has the open channel top and bottom.
gri-cu-70007_mk_xl.jpg

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
In my Regal I was going to use the factory Olds 307 top plate but the tanks were too wide to fit it so I had to fab up mounts and made a cover plate for the channel.
20230730_174121 (1).jpg

Last edited:

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
This is the picture it shows for the top for the CU-70007, I have a similar Griffen radiator in my Regal but it is universal and it has the open channel top and bottom.
gri-cu-70007_mk_xl.jpg
Hmm you are correct, Griffin was telling me this style would fit factory hold downs as opposed to their performance fit. Glad you pointed this out. Kind of a deal breaker for me already

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Hmm you are correct, Griffin was telling me this style would fit factory hold downs as opposed to their performance fit. Glad you pointed this out. Kind of a deal breaker for me already
My Griffen radiators do an awesome job of cooling the 355 SBC in my Regal and the 565 BBC in my Monte both using the Intrepid dual fan set up, but they are both custom fit to my cars but the price is probably 1/3 the price of the combo you are looking at.
If you truly need something to bolt in, I would look at Champion American Eagle brand even though they have 1" tubes versus Griffens 1.25" tubes it should still cool the SBC well. I had their 3 row standard brand in my Regal with the original engine and it fit the 307 shroud and hold down very well but did require larger hoses.
There are probably other brands that will fit but I have no experience with them.
IMG_1931.JPG

Last edited:

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor