Ground for Park and Neutral

Status
Not open for further replies.

MY6.2SS

Greasemonkey
Nov 26, 2020
For those at are LS swap, how did you get your ground for the Park and Neutral part for the ECM?
Thanks, David

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
For those at are LS swap, how did you get your ground for the Park and Neutral part for the ECM?
Thanks, David

I used this, although I used the original starting circuit from the car and the mechanical interlock won't let the key turn unless in park. The only reason I provided the neutral gear signal to the ECM was to use the proper idle tables.

I paid $200 to "PSI Conversion" for a Factory ECM that had the VAT and emissions delete... if the donor truck had neutral safety switch you are asking about, it was also deactivated on my ECM because I don't have that lockout.

The Dakota Digital gear position kit cost about a hundred bucks, and took about an hour to install. The actual position indicator that goes on the transmission doesn't look like it will last forever

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
Why not use the park/neutral switch that is located on the steering column near the fire wall. It also has the back up light switch in it. It looks like this.
The stacked copper terminals on the left side of the switch are for the park/neutral switch. The two terminals in brass that are side by side on the right are for back up lights. This style switch assembly came into use when our cars got computers. My 79 cutlass uses a similiar switch with just back up light terminals.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220403-211947_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220403-211947_Chrome.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 99
  • Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
Why not use the park/neutral switch that is located on the steering column near the fire wall. It also has the back up light switch in it. It looks like this.
The stacked copper terminals on the left side of the switch are for the park/neutral switch. The two terminals in brass that are side by side on the right are for back up lights. This style switch assembly came into use when our cars got computers. My 79 cutlass uses a similiar switch with just back up light terminals.
Cool. I needed the Dakota part for my aftermarket gage cluster.

Reactions: 1 user

MY6.2SS

Greasemonkey
Nov 26, 2020
I would if I had all that back drive set up still hooked up. My headers did away with all that linkage.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
Well now that we know that.
What trans do you have?
what year is it?
What shifter are you using?

MY6.2SS

Greasemonkey
Nov 26, 2020
Well now that we know that.
What trans do you have?
what year is it?
What shifter are you using?
What trans do you have?…….4L60E
what year is it?……2008
What shifter are you using?….. 1978 Trans Am shifter that has been converted to a 4 speed shifter.
Thanks

ostrich

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2012
Ontario, Canada
With my ls/4L80e swap I used the park/neutral switch on the transmission. Pretty sure the 4l80e one is the same. Got the wiring connector, then ohm'd out the correct wires for the park & neutral positions tied them together, wired it to the ECM pin, added the ground and power wires to the switch as well. Needed to use the switch because I couldn't route the original 200R4 linkage to the steering column because of turbo piping. There are 2 different styles of switches as well, 1 connector & 2 connectors, if you go that route.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
With my ls/4L80e swap I used the park/neutral switch on the transmission. Pretty sure the 4l80e one is the same. Got the wiring connector, then ohm'd out the correct wires for the park & neutral positions tied them together, wired it to the ECM pin, added the ground and power wires to the switch as well. Needed to use the switch because I couldn't route the original 200R4 linkage to the steering column because of turbo piping. There are 2 different styles of switches as well, 1 connector & 2 connectors, if you go that route.
I'm using a '93 4L80 and it didn't have a switch on the shift linkage when I got it. Do you know if it did at one time and was not included in my package purchase deal of - 'pick one out of the corner'?

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
I'm using a '93 4L80 and it didn't have a switch on the shift linkage when I got it. Do you know if it did at one time and was not included in my package purchase deal of - 'pick one out of the corner'?
You guys talking about this? Transmission shop gave me a new one - must have been part of his rebuild kit... I didn't *need* it, and my aftermarket harness didn't have the plug, so I left it off

PN: 24221125 running about $60 online.

Attachments

• 20220405_114100.jpg
    20220405_114100.jpg
    678.3 KB · Views: 77
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor