Grrr. Have to modify an NOS intake!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Poking around my laptop searching for something else, I ran across a pic of an NOS A4 intake I got which I bought by casting number since it had a beat up/fugged up original box. 22504068, which is correct for an 84 H/O or 85 442 with flat tappets.

HOWEVER, when I pondered the evidence today, I noticed it did not have the EFE sensor port drilled/tapped into the driver side back corner. So it looks like I'm going to have to do that myself. Maybe that's why it comes under a different part number than the earlier versions. Some of the earlier intakes were cast iron, but replacements eventually came as aluminum A4s.

The catalog p/n for the manifold with the hole for EFE already there is 22524457 which superseded to 22524456, but still uses the 22504068 casting on the intake. The hole is the only difference. So it looks like I got one made for an earlier application here. No big deal. I'll drill and tap for the EFE and call it a day.

Any suggestions on the best way to drill and tap this baby without fugging it all to hell?

a4intake.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
Poking around my laptop searching for something else, I ran across a pic of an NOS A4 intake I got which I bought by casting number since it had a beat up/fugged up original box. 22504068, which is correct for an 84 H/O or 85 442 with flat tappets.

HOWEVER, when I pondered the evidence today, I noticed it did not have the EFE sensor port drilled/tapped into the driver side back corner. So it looks like I'm going to have to do that myself. Maybe that's why it comes under a different part number than the earlier versions. Some of the earlier intakes were cast iron, but replacements eventually came as aluminum A4s.

The catalog p/n for the manifold with the hole for EFE already there is 22524457 which superseded to 22524456, but still uses the 22504068 casting on the intake. The hole is the only difference. So it looks like I got one made for an earlier application here. No big deal. I'll drill and tap for the EFE and call it a day.

Any suggestions on the best way to drill and tap this baby without fugging it all to hell?

View attachment 211608
Interesting that's not drilled and taped, it can be done if you have a drill press, drill bit size and a pipe tap. If you end up doing it take your time.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Patience grasshopper. Start with a smaller drill bit and work up. A drill press would be nice. Make sure you use the correct drill to tap size. Lots of oil and did i say patience?

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor