Guess it's over for Wyotech

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Was checking some of the local news & came across Wyotechs parent company shutting them down & getting out of the gear head buisness. At first I thought it was just the Blairsville, Pa campus but all of them are done in about 6 weeks. With all the students I see when I work down that way I thought they were doing OK. They have a good size campus along US 22 & a 7 building housing (25 rooms each) site about a mile east off US 22. I just wonder who/what caused this to come about.

Nov 4, 2012
I saw that in the local news as well. Wyotech started out as a for-profit school, which everyone now knows are a scam. Once people began finding out that for-profit schools were crooked, Wyotech changed the way that some of their cash flowed, and became a not-for-profit school, around 2015 IIRC. I think they had some bad financial management, and they never really got past their reputation as a for-profit school.

IMO, there are better schools out there for much less. Locally, Rosedale Tech is a great one, or otherwise, train though a union and get paid while you're doing it. Just my .02.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Sucks to hear but not too shocking. Worst decision I ever made was to go to college. I graduated UNOH with 3 degrees, learned a lot, make good money but holy hell is the debt crippling. $600 a month makes me wanna blow my brains out sometimes. I'll end my tangent on that note :rofl:

• Useful
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
College sure feels like a financial gamble anymore. I'm not one to declare what's wrong with the world, but it's a shame more places can't just train their own employees and just use a G.E.D. as proof enough that one has the capacity to learn. If I had a dollar for everyone I know that has paid for classes that they didn't even literally need, well I may not be a millionaire but I sure could help them pay off their college debt.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 5 users

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
Sucks to hear but not too shocking. Worst decision I ever made was to go to college. I graduated UNOH with 3 degrees, learned a lot, make good money but holy hell is the debt crippling. $600 a month makes me wanna blow my brains out sometimes. I'll end my tangent on that note :rofl:

I would be at 700 a month if I ever have to pick up my parents portion. UNOH is a crock too, 2-1/2 years year round for an associates....?

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
College is a business -- and a very successful one at that. What other industry can you think of that has an application process to be told what/how to think and when you're done (years later) all you have is a piece of paper that cost the same as a house? Iif you choose not to purchase their product, society shames you into feeling inferior.
That, my friends, is brilliant marketing.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 6 users

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
College is a business -- and a very successful one at that. What other industry can you think of that has an application process to be told what/how to think and when you're done (years later) all you have is a piece of paper that cost the same as a house? Iif you choose not to purchase their product, society shames you into feeling inferior.
That, my friends, is brilliant marketing.

That pretty much summarizes it. We need more farm boys with a G.E.D and common sense. From my experience training employees from within is better. That expensive piece of paper doesn't always indicate someone is ready for the job. I recruit and manage our engineering team and while college grads can be book smart, more than you think are dumber than a box of rocks with it comes to common sense and problem solving.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 4 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I went to college at 18 thinking I wanted to be a mechanical engineer but all I really wanted to do was play with cars. After the first year I was positive of one thing, I could never work with engineers. I also had about $7000 in debt to learn that lesson.
I took time off to work for a while and ended up going to a community college for a 2 year auto tech degree. I was able to work and go to school. I finished in under 2 years with no debt. Looking back, I think it was a good experience but I'm not sure that degree really made any real difference. I learned much more working at my uncle's shop than I did in school.

Obviously, that model doesn't apply to everyone. I feel more comfortable knowing that the guy operating on my back has some pretty intensive specialized training.
On the flip side, I don't really care that my accountant placed at the top of their art history class or got a C- in speech. All I care about is whether they can keep my books straight.

Certifications only matter to those who care. I've known ASE Master Techs who couldn't be trusted to change a tire while some of the best driveability and electrical problem solvers I've ever seen never went to school or have a single "certification"

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
College is not for everybody. I struggled with self-discipline during my first attempt. Smart and lazy in high school. I needed a Navy Size 12 Chukka boot up my *ss, multiple times, to get my head on straight. One thing you learn in the military is how low the misery scale really goes. Especially when you remember that you volunteered. May God Bless all the people that ended up in the Iraq and Afghanistan and came back not fully whole.

The purpose of a college/university is to perpetuate itself, unless, of course, it also has to pay stockholders. Their blackmail is to promise the diploma at the end. Unfortunately, some jobs require a diploma as a first hurdle. In the end it's all about what you teach yourself, whether it's canned courses or self-taught by reading. Pay the lowest tuition possible. I remember how frustrating it was to be promised credit for my military experience by some FP school, only to find out how much they wanted me to pay to get that 'free' credit.

Public community college is the best way to go, followed by state schools. Move somewhere cheap and establish residency to pay in-state tuition. Do the research to find out where the hidden good schools are that get people hired. If they have to advertise, it's probably not the best choice.

Or, join the military and let the state or Uncle Sam pay the bill for you. Avoid borrowing to pay for school. Treat your education as a full-time job, if possible. Get it done before babies arrive.

In my case, it was what I brought to the interview, in addition to the piece of paper that got a box checked, that got me the job. And it took two job changes before I found a really good fit to my (weird) skill set. Internships, work experience are the aces up your sleeve. Once employed, what you teach yourself, the growing skill set, that makes someone want to keep paying you.

Reactions: 3 users

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
I got lucky, In 83 Cadillac had an apprentice program, I worked as a helper for two Master tech's and went to the GM training center at a local community collage for classes. I got an Associates Degree in 2 years with no debt other than a few night classes at the C.C. Things are a lot different now days with all these schools and how much it costs. I feel for kids today having to take on that much debt. I hope more programs like "Mike Rowe Works " pop up out there and we can get some of these apprentice programs back. This country needs more skilled labor not more body's sitting in cubes tapping on computers all day. End or Rant...lol :blah:

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor