Guess my dad just said screw it new motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
If you end up with a true 11:1+ compression ratio you will need higher than premium fuel. Premium fuel around here is 93 octane.

Casey78

Apprentice
Oct 3, 2014
Topeka Kansas
ac9e41ca3431be30bd9a55052ef7f671.jpg
tach works

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Aluminum heads make a difference but not that much. You can get away with it but with today's garbage they call gas 11:1 is high. The general rule of thumb is around 10.25:1 is the limit for pump gas. Obviously there have been people that have gone past that like myself with no issues but it doesn't work for everyone. Ask your dad what the deck clearance measures at and the dome cc. There is no possible way to calculate accurate compression ratios without these measurements. If your dad has engine experience he should have no issue finding these numbers. I could walk you through it if needed.

Casey78

Apprentice
Oct 3, 2014
Topeka Kansas
-83MONTESS- said:
Aluminum heads make a difference but not that much. You can get away with it but with today's garbage they call gas 11:1 is high. The general rule of thumb is around 10.25:1 is the limit for pump gas. Obviously there have been people that have gone past that like myself with no issues but it doesn't work for everyone. Ask your dad what the deck clearance measures at and the dome cc. There is no possible way to calculate accurate compression ratios without these measurements. If your dad has engine experience he should have no issue finding these numbers. I could walk you through it if needed.
No idea on deck clearance we have never had the heads off

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
-83MONTESS- said:
The general rule of thumb is around 10.25:1 is the limit for pump gas.
Actually, it depends on the cam profile. You can have a 10:1 engine with a cam that causes pinging with good 93 or have a 11:1 engine with a cam that runs fine with decent advance and no pinging.

First question is, what is the cranking compression? With domed pistons, it may have more of a propensity to detonate at lower cranking pressures, but it would be nice to know what cam is in it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor