H pipe or X pipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
i don't know that it'll make a real difference in sound, that's more the pipe size and mufflers. performance-wise, the x-pipe is a better design, but no matter what you won't get much out of a 307.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
86CutlassUCF said:
H pipe or x pipe on 86 cutlass 307?

Really only concearned about sound. Want it to sound nice and loud.

have you considered open headers and no pipes?

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
why not just straight pipes.....no X or H that's how mine is currently runnin

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
personally I think an X balances it out better while keeping a smoother flow. I'm using one on my Monte. What are you trying to do with it, just make it sound good???

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
On my first El Camino I had back in high school, I had a pretty loud set up. The car still had all the pollution control intact and functioning, so I left all that in place and I replaced the cat. converter with a new one. That was enough of a muffler for me. From there, the exhaust split in to two 2-1/4" pipes, went all the way out the back with no mufflers, and had 3" tips to top it all off. It actually sounded pretty good for a 305.

An X or H pipe won't effect the volume or sound of your exhaust. Actually, the X pipe on my 442 really mellows out the exhaust at about 2500 rpms.

The biggest factors for your exhaust tone are your engines cam shaft, compression ratio, exhaust pipe diameter, and your muffler choice.

When I had a smaller X pipe system on the 442 when the 307(r.i.p.) was still in there(cheap headers/x-pipe/flowmasters-all 2-1/4"), there wasn't any difference in overall loudness from when I got it (stock cat/y-pipe/flowmasters), but there was a considerable difference in low end power that you could actually feel. That thing could hustle pretty good for a 307, until I blew it up...

P.S. Don't rev your stock 307 past 6000 RPM's... They don't like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor