Hand ported vortec heads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I dont have access to a flow bench so its anyone's guess. Hopefully worth 20+cfm

I would hope so too, it's just that my impression of the Vortecs is similar to an article I read years ago where someone was experimenting port by port and finding excruciatingly minimal gains on a set of GT40P heads. It looks like you're doing some very tried and tried things to these heads.

Reactions: 1 user

Vilanus

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 13, 2020
I would hope so too, it's just that my impression of the Vortecs is similar to an article I read years ago where someone was experimenting port by port and finding excruciatingly minimal gains on a set of GT40P heads. It looks like you're doing some very tried and tried things to these heads
Yes i went conservative. I know that you cant do a whole lot to improve the intake especilally. I applied what i understood to be good.

Vilanus

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 13, 2020
That looks like you touched the floor of the exhaust port. Which, if I remember correctly, is a big no-no. The Vortec heads benefited from an LT1-like intake port, but didn't get the D-port shape on the exhaust side to combat reversion. SSR is one thing, hogging them out is another.
I squared up the bottom, nothing more. I know you need to leave a step for reversion. The short side radius was polished but the shape remains the same. Here's a wider angle.is that bad?

Attachments

• IMG_20210118_155332.jpg
    IMG_20210118_155332.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 120

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I squared up the bottom, nothing more. I know you need to leave a step for reversion. The short side radius was polished but the shape remains the same. Here's a wider angle.is that bad?

Honestly, yes. You should have worked the SSR, and left the port floor raw. Nipping the corners off reduced any reversion characteristics that were present.

Last edited:

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Well im happy it, and thats what matters! Have you done any motorheadmike?

I've been known to abuse a die grinder in my day:

That said I am on the fence right now...

decisions don't be a dick GIF

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
It’s very difficult to tell what’s been accomplished without a flow bench imho.
The Vortec was the smoke and mirror moment for GM with head design. It oitflowed everything that preceeded from .100-.450 by a wheel barrel load. Porting them usually, repeat usually, hurts the low lift flow. That’s not the end of the world unless you have .450 lift cam with sub 205 duration. Installing a .520+ lift cam and <225 duration cam is where porting becomes favorable - imo.

Reactions: 3 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
That said I am on the fence right now...

decisions don't be a dick GIF't be a dick GIF
^^^ SMH :) ^^^ Nice to see Mike breakin in new members right.

Cam is [email protected] .512 lift 108lsa hyd roller. Heads currently on it where my first and prolly worst then these. Engine runs real good though
Less floor work (kinda a waste of time), but you didn't hurt them to run the 6000 that your cam wants to run. Don'twaster your time gasket matching, has the same kind of result as hogging out the floor unless you can carry the gasket dimension to the radius.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor