Hard to start after sitting for a day or hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario
So ive had this problem with my car since i got it. First i thought it was the carburetor but i figured that since i was planning on getting a new rebuilt one that i can wait it out till i had enough money for it. So even after i have this brand new carb with a brand new choke it still does the same thing, i have to pump and pump and crank for at least 3-5 secs before it starts again. This usaully occurs after a couple of days or sometimes hours and even sometimes half hour or so! Hope someone can shed some light on this! Thanks!

Play around with your choke and see if you can find a better setting.

84Hurst/Olds said:
Play around with your choke and see if you can find a better setting.

If its brand new shouldnt it already be good to go? Also how do you adjust it, ive never done it before

Yeah, sound like the choke isnt set right.

Its not any of the above. The fuel pump has list its prime. That means all the gas in the line has ran back to the tank. Only way to solve the problem is to install an electric fuel pump. When you turn it on the fuel pump will turn and prime the line for you instead of you pumping the gas. Thats the bad thing about carbs.

bill said:
Yeah, sound like the choke isnt set right.

Ok how would i set it? Also how hard would it be to put an electric fuel pump?

79malibubbctt said:
Its not any of the above. The fuel pump has list its prime. That means all the gas in the line has ran back to the tank. Only way to solve the problem is to install an electric fuel pump. When you turn it on the fuel pump will turn and prime the line for you instead of you pumping the gas. Thats the bad thing about carbs.
Wouldn't it be easier/cheaper to install a 1-way check valve in the rubber fuel line?

i should say this too but after the engine has been running for a while it will easily start up in one shot easily. So could it be the choke?

79malibubbctt said:
Its not any of the above. The fuel pump has list its prime. That means all the gas in the line has ran back to the tank. Only way to solve the problem is to install an electric fuel pump.

Oh man, not this again. A mechanical pump will pull the fuel no problem.

If it's choke, then you have to set your choke right.

If it's fuel drainback:

Stock fuel pumps do not always have anti-drainback valves! I know my monte carlo did NOT have an anti-drainback valve in the OE-replacement fuel pump! The anti-drainback mechanism is in the quadrajet carb. There is a spring-loaded filter that acts as an anti-drainback device. If this isn't functioning correct then you'll have a problem. Possible solutions:

Fix the spring in the carb filter thing. Personally, I hate these and always remove them and add an inline filter.

OR

Add an inline check valve.

OR

Buy a fuel pump with a check valve in it.

You can determine if it's fuel drainback by taking the carb off after it's sat a bit. Turn it upside down. If a half cup of fuel comes out of the bowl vent, then it's not a drainback problem! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor