Hard to start after sitting for a day or hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
othtim said:
If it's choke, then you have to set your choke right.

If it's fuel drainback:

Stock fuel pumps do not always have anti-drainback valves! I know my monte carlo did NOT have an anti-drainback valve in the OE-replacement fuel pump! The anti-drainback mechanism is in the quadrajet carb. There is a spring-loaded filter that acts as an anti-drainback device. If this isn't functioning correct then you'll have a problem. Possible solutions:

Fix the spring in the carb filter thing. Personally, I hate these and always remove them and add an inline filter.

OR

Add an inline check valve.

OR

Buy a fuel pump with a check valve in it.

You can determine if it's fuel drainback by taking the carb off after it's sat a bit. Turn it upside down. If a half cup of fuel comes out of the bowl vent, then it's not a drainback problem! lol

Well the filter cant be the problem! This is a brand new carb for christs sake lmao ! I remember when i took my old carb off and had turned it upside down a lot of gas came out of it though.

How do you know the carb can't be the prob?

Did you take it off after sitting for a day, and turn it upside down? If no fuel comes out, then it's a problem with drainback.

If it's a q-jet there is an anti-drainback valve in the carb. If that has been removed then you need to put an anti-drainback valve in the line, or ensure your fuel pump has an internal anti-drainback valve.

Either way, maybe it's your choke setting. It could be set to be too lean. You can change the choke setting by turning the housing. There should be a "lean" and "rich" marked on the housing. The more the choke is closed, the richer the mix.

Its not hard to put an inline electric fuel pump. You have to get a fuel pump block off plate though. You can also do the check valve deal also. I prefer the electric fuel pump. The gas that came out of your old carb was gas that was in your fuel bowls.

It can still drain back through an electric fuel pump. And if the issue is the choke setting, than the fuel pump wont fix it.

Its not a choke issue. The choke is fir warming the engine up to operating temperature quicker in the winter. In the summer the choke is not used. The electric fuel pump will prime the system instead of pumping the gas. Just turn the key on and count 3 seconds and start your car.. that simple.

drainback wont cause hard starting after the car has been sitting because the carb uses fuel in the bowl to start it again. I dont know everything, but I do know that drainback issues will not suck gas out of the bowl, its impossible....so the car would start and the fuel pump would prime even if it loses a bit of fuel sitting for a while. Now it is possible that the bowl could be losing fuel into the manifold, which floods the engine. On many carbs, chokes are often not set properly and can cause all types of headaches. To test this out, try starting the car with the pedal all the way down....if it cranks, the carb is flooding the engine while it sits and the bowl is losing fuel. Or, take off the breather after a few hours of sitting, dont touch the throttle, and see if you can smell a strong fuel smell...if you do, then its the bowl leaking into the manifold. I would suspect either the choke is set too lean or the timing is too far advanced. Most of the time, a cold engine needs to be set at 5-10 degrees to start it, then the mechanical advance starts to kick in once it reaches 1000+ rpm. If its too far advanced, it wont start easily when cold.

If you havn't got a book on quadrajets get one, read it thru and set the carb up as per the instructions. Reading seems to be a lost art these days

pontiacgp said:
If you havn't got a book on quadrajets get one, read it thru and set the carb up as per the instructions. Reading seems to be a lost art these days

Amen Brother.....but reading takes too much work man! :roll:

bill said:
pontiacgp said:

Amen Brother.....but reading takes too much work man! :roll:

ok ill take a look at it. Just got done putting my new oil pan and water pump on the car so im happy, but after driving for a few minutes the f***ing hood emblem decides to brake...so if anyone has a extra one im lookin to buy 😀 anyways about the choke. With my old carb it seems that when it was cold out side it would fire right up. The problem i have always had is its too hard to start when hot out. Also with this hot weather where i am when its close to 30 degrees celcius (which is pretty hot here in Canada 😛) Thats when i have to pump and pump, but when its cold lets say around 10 degrees its very easy to start. Also with this hot weather when i start the car up after pumping it, it idles very high and if i put it into drive and go, the car will accelerate itself up to aroun 50kmh on its own without even me touching the gas!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor