Hard to start after sitting for a day or hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pontiac455 said:
Wrap a plastic tie around the body of the thermostatic spring and the connector. Works great mate.

haha good idea! Thanks ill try that! 🙂

With my old carb it seems that when it was cold out side it would fire right up. The problem i have always had is its too hard to start when hot out. Also with this hot weather where i am when its close to 30 degrees celcius (which is pretty hot here in Canada 😛) Thats when i have to pump and pump, but when its cold lets say around 10 degrees its very easy to start. Also with this hot weather when i start the car up after pumping it, it idles very high and if i put it into drive and go, the car will accelerate itself up to aroun 50kmh on its own without even me touching the gas!!! Today i went outside to fix the choke connector and figured what the hell let me see how it will start. So got in, gave 1 pump on the pedal to set the choke, now i havent started the car for about 3 days. And turned the key, it cranked for about 4-5 seconds then fired up, i didnt have to pump the gas once i was just letting it crank. Anyone have an idea?

:bump: :bump: :bump:

did you ever pick up a book and rear thru it and try to set the carb and coke up according to the instructions?

Your choke is set too cold... You need to adjust it for the warmer temperature.
In cooler weather, it closes and the car can start right up. With the hotter weather, especially if it's sitting in the sun, the choke thinks the engine is still warm and won't fully close the choke, thus making it harder to start.

Sounds like your fast idle setting may need adjustment as well.
It is supposed to run at a higher RPM while the car is warming up.
As the choke opens, the fast idle speed comes down as it gets to proper temp and normal idle speed.

pontiacgp said:
did you ever pick up a book and rear thru it and try to set the carb and coke up according to the instructions?

Well do you know what type of carb came on these cars? Like i look in the book and it says like 4mv or m4mc?? Thanks!

it would be an E4MC, E is for electric choke. You need to get the numbers of the carb, they'll be something like 17086008

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor