Have some wiring questions about my 83 wagon project

Status
Not open for further replies.

83wagon8r

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 6, 2008
East Bay
I am doing a motor transmission and rear-end swap on my 83 malibu wagon. I put a crate 350 engine in it with out all the smog stuff but kept the A/C my question is will I need any of the wiring that comes out of the passenger side bottom fire wall? I don't think i would all the important wiring is on the other harness (starter , distributor power , alternator etc.) But wanted to ask before i remove theharness. Is that the computer harness? Any info. will be appriciated. Thanks Guys

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
The computer harness is inserted through a round hole below the A/C box and behind the inner fender liner. It is held in place by a steel bracket and 2 sheet metal screws. It serves no function for anything but engine management and can be safely removed. There is a separate subharness for cruise control that is on the driver's side, and a separate subharness for the climate control which plugs into the main harness via a 4 pin connector on the passenger's side. The main harness is beneath the wiper motor on the driver's side and is comprised of a lighting harness and a engine harness. The engine harness has some A/C functions, charging, starting and ignition wiring on it.

dougfather

Master Mechanic
Jul 11, 2006
Altoona PA
LEGEND:

PURPLE - Starter Solenoid (has a ring terminal at the end)
PINK - Distributor (most likely a slip on terminal)
RED (2) - Starter at the battery terminal. Have larger ring terminals with fuse link. Has a splice for the HVAC system.
GREEN - Temperature sending unit
BROWN - Alternator sending unit

The following three work together in one circuit and depends on weather you have guages or idiot lights

LT BLUE - Choke heater
LT BROWN - Oil Pressure Light
BROWN/WHITE Oil Pressure Light

83wagon8r

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 6, 2008
East Bay
Thanks you guys answered all my questions and gave extra helpfull info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor