header clearance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

78monteclassic

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 9, 2012
Can anybody identify these headers? Will i have clearance issues on the passenger side? It looks real tight in there with the starter and bellhousing..etc, i got them for free and the previous owner said they came off of an 86? monte?

IMAG0258_zpsf3dfe67c.jpg

IMAG0259_zps1a6f651f.jpg

IMAG0257_zpsa3ebe5c7.jpg

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
looks just like the hookers on my cutlass, aside from the long collector. Clearance is close but it does clear everything. You'll want to run a mini starter anyway to avoid heat soak

crotchss

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Apr 14, 2010
Kearney, Nebraska
If the headers are Hookers they say u can't run a 168 tooth flywheel, but I have done it by dimpling one tube a little. They should have a number stamped on the collector or head flange.

78monteclassic

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 9, 2012
crotchss said:
If the headers are Hookers they say u can't run a 168 tooth flywheel, but I have done it by dimpling one tube a little. They should have a number stamped on the collector or head flange.

Ok I'll look and see if I can find anything

78monteclassic

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 9, 2012
i could'nt find anything stamped, tried to install them today and i couldn't even get them in there, driver side wouldn't even make it passed the steering shaft, passenger side wouldn't clear the firewall... :/

i tried from the bottom on the passenger side but didn't have any luck..i didn't try for hours, 10 minutes after fiddling with it i gave up and bolted the stock manifolds back on,forgot which plug wire went where and now it runs like poopy lol, im about to go out there and get the firing order right in a sec, how much more improvement are headers over the stock manifolds? sound/performance wise? I got them for free so i wanted to put them on there

Dennyboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2011
Minnesota
I would unbolt the motor mounts and lift it up with a hoist that usually works to make enough room.

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
When i put mine in, i had to jack up the opposite side of the car. ie: to put the passenger side in, i jacked up the drivers side of the car, as far as my jack would go, and barely fished them in from the bottom. They are a pain in the *ss and have to go in from the bottom. Like i said, the pic of the one you have looks identical to the passenger side hooker header i have in my cutty. I think a hoist would make the job a whole lot easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor