Header Coating Other Than Shiny Silver?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I was just thinking about this. I will probably need new headers soon, but I want something that matches the theme of my engine bay- dull and boring. All I ever see is the silver ceramic coating that looks nice. Does anyone offer a header coating in black, dull gray, dark brown, or even a nice rust color? I really don't want anything that looks nice or shiny as it will detract from the stock look theme I went with. I just want the coating for corrosion protection.

I think eastwood offers a flat black header coating.My hooker headers are rusted out so i'm gonna try to get them sandblasted then try the paint. Let me know if you find something.

I'm 99% sure dupli-color has header coating in rattle cans. 1600 degree I think.

after a couple of heat cycles the dupli color turns to like a powder and rubs off everytime you touch it

My coated flowtech headers weren't shiny. Not the best pic, but hopefully you can get n idea.
100_0143.jpg

Getting spray can high temp paint to last is all in the prep.

I kinda have a "thing" for sleepers.

On my LeMans, I painted the headers with hi temp "cast iron" look spray, may have been Dupli-color.

Anyway, I trimmed the heatriser cover to fit over the headers( it was a bright silver color) and even hooked up a new shiny silver heatriser tube.

Just because the parts are there don't mean the have to be hooked up. 8)

The other side was pretty well covered by the a/c stuff and was hard to see being dark gray.

The engine bay was painted low gloss/satin black. If you put a few shiny pieces up high, everything else below them seem to disappear.

Go and get some grill paint. When I say grill I mean like a gas grill you cook on. It is also the same paint used on wood stoves and stuff. I use it on my wood stove and probably paint it once every 5 years, probably more and I have a huge wood stove that gets hot.

I would say it's probably better than header paint or high temp paint just from personal experience. This is one brand here but I don't think I used this one.

http://www.stovepaint.com/

I have never had good luck with header paint, which is why I was thinking of getting them ceramic coated, but in something ugly instead.

POR-15 has some high temp paints. They have a black that is rated up to 1200 deg. and a cast iron gray rated to 1400 dg.

I've used the por-15 gray on headers and manifolds. It lasts well. Looked better after time on the iron manifolds than the headers though. You can lay it on thicker than on steel. The headers showed brush marks, even after a few careful coats. I've never sprayed the stuff, that may work better. IDK. But the small can goes a long way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor