OLDS Who's ceramic coated SS headers?

DonF

Apprentice
Nov 1, 2015
Ft. Myers/ Lehigh Fl.
I've got a set of ARH's being made right now, expecting delivery in a couple weeks. So I know the benefits of coating headers, but is it 100% necessary with SS? I think the biggest hurdle is finding someone to do it local, researching DYI methods now including Cerakote.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I say no. There seems to be less heat come off Stainless and they don't look like sh*t and should last forever. For the price of ARH headers, they should come coated.

Reactions: 1 user

403Olds

G-Body Guru
May 31, 2014
South Central Ohio
I've used Cerakote on headers, it works well and held up for years. The last headers I had coated locally, they have been holding up better. There are better prepping techniques that make the coating stick better. Both of these were mild steel. With stainless, I'll be tempted to get out the fine steel wool and just polish them from time to time. I've done this with my tailpipes, and they are now to the point of looking like polished tips.

Maverick's_Monte

Greasemonkey
Sep 15, 2011
Rhode Island
I took my headers off about 5 years ago and used a friends media blaster to clean them up. Then I primed and painted them with very lights coats of VHT paint. I baked them in a large old grill that I had no use for but still worked, on a low setting. The paint has held up great and only recently have I started seeing little spots of rust or discoloration starting to form. I keep the car garaged and I live in the north east, but the garage is not heated so with the temperature changes and fluctuations in humidity, they're not going to stay perfect forever. What I am trying to say is with the aforementioned approach, I have been happy with the results.

Reactions: 1 user

DonF

Apprentice
Nov 1, 2015
Ft. Myers/ Lehigh Fl.
I say no. There seems to be less heat come off Stainless and they don't look like sh*t and should last forever. For the price of ARH headers, they should come coated.
I agree, I did get them on sale at summit for a couple hundred cheaper than on ARH's site. Local shop wants 450-475 to Cerakote C-series, has a warranty but that's crazy since it's air-cure and only costs 80 bucks for the needed amount. I'll probably just hold off and clean them up once in awhile

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

johnnunez29

Greasemonkey
May 9, 2022
i Just had my headers coated. Cant tell you how its held up as cars not yet running. But they do look great.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor