Header Heat + Wires

Status
Not open for further replies.

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
I am trying to figure out the wiring to the starter and such, and I'm pretty concerned about the heat the wires will be exposed to.

I'm looking around at Summits catalog and they give a heat resistance # of their wire protection materials.
And I got to wondering: How hot do headers actually get?? I think I should know that before I order the stuff.

Also, what gauge is the smaller wire that comes from the + (I think) battery terminal to the starter?

outsider_27

G-Body Guru
Mar 23, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
What you can do is install a Ford starter solenoid on the firewall, then run a cable from that down to the starter. Then on mine I have a guage 6 solid copper wire jumping the battery terminal to the I terminal on the starter solenoid. This way, the only time there is power on any wire going to the starter is during cranking. I also have an aluminum wire heat shield over that cable. I haven't driven the car yet because it is still being worked on to get it running, but I think this is a good set up, at least in my mind it is.

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
outsider_27 said:
What you can do is install a Ford starter solenoid on the firewall.
That is a great idea, I have seen that done on a lot of cars, I would have to say it is one of Ford's better ideas. I currently used heat resistant wire I picked up at NAPA. And I have heat sleaves over my plug wires, after you burn through a set of MSD wires you get smarter.

drknow90rs

Greasemonkey
Aug 12, 2009
Wittmann, AZ
outsider_27 said:
What you can do is install a Ford starter solenoid on the firewall, then run a cable from that down to the starter. Then on mine I have a guage 6 solid copper wire jumping the battery terminal to the I terminal on the starter solenoid. This way, the only time there is power on any wire going to the starter is during cranking. I also have an aluminum wire heat shield over that cable. I haven't driven the car yet because it is still being worked on to get it running, but I think this is a good set up, at least in my mind it is.

That is one thing ford got right. Also for your spark plug wires use moroso's "Blue" race wire set. They are almost impervious to heat. While breaking in a friends twin-turbo 502, we accidentally laid one of them right across the hot-side housing of the right turbo. The housing was glowing when we noticed it there. After moving it, we expected to find it melted, but it was fine! Not even dis-colored! They are very pricy, but you wont find a better set anywhere!
Good luck!

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
drknow90rs said:
outsider_27 said:

That is one thing ford got right. Also for your spark plug wires use moroso's "Blue" race wire set. They are almost impervious to heat. While breaking in a friends twin-turbo 502, we accidentally laid one of them right across the hot-side housing of the right turbo. The housing was glowing when we noticed it there. After moving it, we expected to find it melted, but it was fine! Not even dis-colored! They are very pricy, but you wont find a better set anywhere!
Good luck!

I use the Moroso Blue Max wires on my street car and we use them on our circle track car. Your right that the fiberglass covering does help to protect the wires from heat but if they are laid directly on a header the protective layer will burn and the wires will be damaged so I don't understand how the wire covering wasn't even discolored after laying on a a housing that was glowing. Before I installed the heat shield sleeves on the wires I fried 5 of them with headers just firing up the car for a few minutes to check the header installation so I can certainly say that laying them on a heated source will damage those wires

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
Ford solenoid is genius. I run it on my car.

drknow90rs

Greasemonkey
Aug 12, 2009
Wittmann, AZ
We were shocked too! We were sure we had just ruined an expensive set of wires. It was on there for over a minute! Good stuff! Just bought a set of them for my 383 T/T build.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
there are the type of wires I am using...

http://www.moroso.com/catalog/categoryd ... 4&pt=72405

if you care to read the covering over the wires is added insulation to protect the spark energy and has nothing to do with protecting it against heat...those who are suggesting that the wires are basically indestructible when coming in direct contact with a high heat source are incorrect and should be disregarded...

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
The Ford Sloenoid thing sounds like a good idea. Maybe something to look into down the road.

Not really concerned about the plug wires since the plugs are above the hearers (Go oldsmobile 8) )

Just looking for some kind of very heat-resistant sleeve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor