Header questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

stubnosebrock

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 5, 2012
Binghamton, NY
So lets a a guy like whose engine will soon be done. SBC with lets say approximately 500 crank horsepower. Should I be looking more in to an 1 3/4 header? Any thoughts on those roundy round headers? The main reason im interested, is well, 1 3/4 Hooker headers aren't exactly cheap.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
stubnosebrock said:
So lets a a guy like whose engine will soon be done. SBC with lets say approximately 500 crank horsepower. Should I be looking more in to an 1 3/4 header? Any thoughts on those roundy round headers? The main reason im interested, is well, 1 3/4 Hooker headers aren't exactly cheap.
I'm running these http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BIG-49100FLT/ and I have 514 crank hp... No issues at all and they fit pretty damn good too 8)

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
500hp seem to be a bit of a tipping point. I'm around that area and i'm still using 1 5/8's tubes. Although i've wondered if i'm giving anything up compared to larger diameters. However this is also on a supercharged engine where scavenging isn't quite as important. I would prolly stick with the 1 5/8 tubes.

stubnosebrock

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 5, 2012
Binghamton, NY
JBreu said:
stubnosebrock said:
I'm running these and I have 514 crank hp... No issues at all and they fit pretty damn good too 8)

I guessing there was supposed to be a link there. It didnt show up

GhettoRacingKid

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2010
i thought the question was for a a SBC not an olds motor.

from what i see is that most SBC for a g body are 1 5/8s the 1 3/4 are a bit pricey. anything bigger then that i hope you have something that needs it.

My buddy is running almost 600hp and is using a 1 3/4 header on his camaro right now. if your in that 500ish range the 1 5/8s will give you good torque and seat of the pants.

as others have stated youll be fine with 1 5/8s

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
stubnosebrock said:
JBreu said:
stubnosebrock said:
I'm running these and I have 514 crank hp... No issues at all and they fit pretty damn good too 8)

I guessing there was supposed to be a link there. It didnt show up[/quote

All fixed, here it is again though :) http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BIG-49100FLT/

GhettoRacingKid

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2010
I was running the same ones jbreu posted up for a long time. work great fit great.

spent more money on a set of hookers. same size everything and there was no difference even with fit and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor