Header Suggestions for Monte Carlo

Status
Not open for further replies.

'80EmCee

n00b
Dec 28, 2015
So i have a 1980 Monte Carlo and i swapped a chevy 305 and was wondering if anyone had any aftermarket header suggestions? Thank you.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Summit Racing has plenty to choose from and primary size doesn't have to be that large for a 305 and maybe look at coated headers if your budget allows it.

'80EmCee

n00b
Dec 28, 2015
Summit Racing has plenty to choose from and primary size doesn't have to be that large for a 305 and maybe look at coated headers if your budget allows it.

I been looking and now i guess my next question would be which ones would clear? I've tried some gbody headers today, forgot the brand but drivers side wasnt clearing and passenger side was too close to the a arms. Thanks for your response.

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
I put a set of Headmans on my 79 Monte, many years ago. They fit pretty good, had to dent one tube a little bit. Not the best quality out there, but fit good.

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
I have Hooker Super Comp's on my 79 Monte Carlo running a 406 small block. They fit well but I did end up with some clearance issues on the the right side due to using a stock GM starter. Also had cylinder 8 (Last Tube on right side) that was close to the upper control arm.
I purchased a 13,000 mile 79 Monte Carlo this past summer (267 small block) which the previous owner installed Hooker Competition headers. So far I see no places where they "adjusted" them but I won't really be able to verify this unless pull them out.
I have run Cyclone/Dynomax headers on a 350 swapped into a 86 El Camino I owned years ago, they fit real nice with my only complaint... the right side collector pointed towards the transmission. A little heat on the tubes at the collector and a long bar brought everything into line.
I do believe Summit "store brand" is made by cyclone/Dynomax.

Hope this helps!
Bob S.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I have been ultra pleased with the Flowtech headers I put on my former daily driver Malibu. They are still in service, been on the car since 08. No leaks, no blown gaskets or collector issues. They fit. Work with normal size starter and oil filter and they are economical. Long tubes. I have bought three sets of used ones and had no issues with them either.

11104FLT

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/big-11104flt

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

STLRegal

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2007
St.Louis
I put hedman headers on my sbc build for my regal. They fit well enough. Tricky to get it in but being this is my first engine swap and never doing it before, i figure thats pretty typical of all headers. They cleared everything, no denting them to get them to fit. This is with the AC installed as well.

I suppose my only real complaint is that they shipped them painted. Which must be stripped off, if you want to put a durable paint on them. But in hindsight i should have just left the paint on from the factory as they rusted up anyway, inside the garage and never even being driven before.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
The flowtechs mentioned above seem to be popular and fit well for the 305/automatic combination.

383S10

Master Mechanic
Mar 16, 2008
Toney, AL
I have the Flowtechs because they were only one that fit without mods but that was 7 years ago......and after a quick search for G-body headers I still see they are still the only primary choice without having perform any mods......if you can afford to do any finishes on them I would....thats the only thing I felt I didnt like after awhile.....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor