Headlight/Gauge light flashing and high voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

trevorjm

Greasemonkey
May 2, 2011
Recently my 85 Monte Carlo has had trouble when the headlights are on, they flicker off and on and at the same time the interior lights (gauges, interior lights) will all flicker. It's been going on for about a week or two. Recently the voltage meter in the dash panel has been moving around alot more than usual. When the car isn't moving, it'll be at around 13 or a little above but it seems especially at higher speeds it shoots up to 18v+. The alternator is a reman Bosch purchased this year, and the battery is a AC Delco which is also probably a year old. If anyone has any ideas where to start i'd appreciate it.

chevyman454 said:
the internal voltage regulator may be at fault
best bet is to take it off and bring it to either advance auto , autozone or someone with a bench tester
make sure they smack it around to simulate driving
Okay, thanks I'll have it checked.

Hey brother did you ever get that problem flixed?

trevorjm said:
chevyman454 said:
the internal voltage regulator may be at fault
best bet is to take it off and bring it to either advance auto , autozone or someone with a bench tester
make sure they smack it around to simulate driving
Okay, thanks I'll have it checked.

Check grounds as well. You need a ground wire from battery to engine, battery to chassis, and engine to firewall. Many times when an engine is swapped ppl forget to hook up the ground wires & ground straps.

chevyman454 is right i had one that did the same thing i took the alternator not even 2 years old to get it tested an the guy put a new regulator on
i ask why it did that he said a few things that could have cause it,i told him i was hooking jumper cables cause at the time my battery was junk he ask how i hooked the cables up an said i was hooking them up wrong

For any one that don't know here's a pic RIGHT WAY TO JUMP A BATTERY

Attachments

• 12900_jumpstart_1.gif
    12900_jumpstart_1.gif
    6.8 KB · Views: 199
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor