Headliner issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

85montess

Greasemonkey
Oct 20, 2007
CT
so as is the problem in most old cars, my headliner and foam are coming off the ceiling in my 85 monte. i was wandering where and how I can fix this. I know its something simple.... thanks

if the foam is ok you can pull it out and use spray adhesive to attach new fabric and remount it. i did this on my 89 golf which uses a styrofoam back.

If just the fabric is coming down, you can go to the parts store and get a spray can of headliner adhesive, follow the directions and you should be good for a while anyway. My luck with the stuff is eventually it comes down again, with the foam the next time.

If the foam is coming down (probably in chunks), well, then the adhesive has nothing to stick to. Probably better off replacing the whole thing. Or you can try your luck sticking it to the backer board. The new ones are made of different stuff and should last a lot longer. Depends how much $ and/or work you want to put out I suppose.

I replaced my headliner with a new abs plastic headliner which is far better than original equipment. The problem with the spray adhesives is that it actually melts the foam backing and eventually will come down again as GP403 said. here is the website link
http://www.automotiveinteriors.com/abs_ ... boards.htm
you can also order matching sun visors with it!! look at my photo album pics to see my new headliner installed.

If you don't want do glue the new material on yourself most automotive trim shops will do it for a fee. 15 year ago I think it cost me $110-$120 and it is just now starting to fall again. That was with me doing the removal and installation of the backer board, but the price included the new headliner material and gluing it.

just to be sure because i'm french, the headliner, is the tissu under the roof, inside the car, over your head, that's it ??

yup, thats it. they tend to hang lower or "sag"

yeah. most are im assuming

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor