Headliner ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camshaft

Master Mechanic
May 27, 2009
Cleveland, Ohio
custom442 said:
no, the material is a foam glued onto a thin layer of the material. It will no doubt look terrible if you re-use the old stuff. Gluing on a headliner is somewhat of an art, but the good thing is G body's have a fairly flat roof without obstructions which makes it easier. Buy some good quality contact cement and practice first on your old one with some scrap material.

but, if you've never done it before, take the material and headliner to an interior shop and they should charge about 50-100$ to glue it on.

Thanks for the advice. It also looks like you can actually buy the headliners already covered, so I may go that route - remove the old one and pop the new one in.

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
that could work, are those pre-lined ones ABS or cardboard? IMO it's worth the extra effort for the plastic one, they last forever

supercrackerbox

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2008
Lincoln NE
As long as the backing board isn't destroyed, recovering it is a piece of cake, and I've never spent more than $50 on the job. Hardest part is getting the board out without bending it.

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
supercrackerbox said:
As long as the backing board isn't destroyed, recovering it is a piece of cake, and I've never spent more than $50 on the job. Hardest part is getting the board out without bending it.

50$ is a good price, not to get the guy's hopes up but he's not going to find a deal like that unless he does it himself. The going rate is about 50$ just to glue material on the board, not including cleaning the old board and buying material.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
Tape measure and order from a thread store black-suede then do it yourself. You won't regret the $200 everytime you reach up and the ceiling is softer than whinnie the pooh. On the other hand, dro smoke slowly turns black suede white w/rainbow swirls so smokers be warned.

I would highly guard against replacing the original material. Drastic fluctuation in temperature turned my original headliner into a cancer-breathing nightmare of small red flakes and when I took it down I had to spend 5 hours vacuuming the little flakes out so I could actually breathe in the cabin - and mine is a 88 so it doesnt take very many years to get back to that state

supercrackerbox

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2008
Lincoln NE
custom442 said:
supercrackerbox said:

50$ is a good price, not to get the guy's hopes up but he's not going to find a deal like that unless he does it himself. The going rate is about 50$ just to glue material on the board, not including cleaning the old board and buying material.

Well yeah, that price is doing it myself. $18 for a can of 3M trim adhesive (get the heavy duty stuff) and $30-$35 for a yard and a half of material from a local upholstery shop, and an afternoon of your time. I've done 3 of my cars now, with excellent results. And minor damage to the factory board can be repaired. It's delicate, but doable.

Picture024.jpg

This is the headliner I put in my Charger last year. The visors were professionally done, but I did the headliner myself.

When I get to that point in the Regal, I'll just go ahead and do a full step-by-step write up, with pics.

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
3M, really?

That won't hold the foam on for any length of time though so... got a pic of it?

Contact cement is the thing to use on headliner or gluing any fabric/material to a hard surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor