Heat Not Working!!!! Need help!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

washingtonb2

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 30, 2010
I have an 88 cutlass. I just put and engine in it and I was checking to make sure everything works but my heat does not. When I turn the heater controls on, nothings happens. THe blower motor doesn't comes on. What do I need to do or check to resolve this issue? I looked for a fuse for the ac/heat but I didn't see one.

washingtonb2 said:
I have an 88 cutlass. I just put and engine in it and I was checking to make sure everything works but my heat does not. When I turn the heater controls on, nothings happens. THe blower motor doesn't comes on. What do I need to do or check to resolve this issue? I looked for a fuse for the ac/heat but I didn't see one.

1. Did any of this stuff work before you swapped engines?
2. Is the blower/fan switch itself not doing anything?

There could be a few things happening here that's why I'm asking if it worked before the swap.

I've seen the climate control itself go bad and they're easy to change. The fan switch could be bad or the blower motor could be bad.
The climate controls are vaccum and cable operated, so if you went nuts removing vaccum lines during the swap, that may be your problem.

This may be a stupid question, but you did hook up the heater hoses right? Any chance the heater core is bad or clogged too?

Are your blower motor contacts corroded? Was the car originally equipped with a heater valve inline with a heater hose?

Also check for 12v at the large connector near the heater core. This will have 4 wires connected on both sides, one is a large gauge red wire to check the voltage at.

Behind the radio there is a little silver sensor, make sure that there is a wire on it. It's riveted to the inside of the dash I beleive, right behind the radio. I think my problem was there was no 12V ignition to that little thing.

I just tested all the wires for the blower motor, and I didn't get a reading for any of them.
@ 79loserbluebu- As far as dealing with the climate control, I do not know how to access the back of it to check the sensor.

@ G-Body_Vet- I don't know if everything worked before I installed the new engine. I bought the car as just a body. The blower itself is not getting any power. It has to be something dealing with the wiring. I am lost at this point fellas.

@ 81Regal- Mine has a purple wire.

The first thing that I would check is the black connector on the passenger side of the engine. The connector supplies +12v to the blower resistor. It could have been left disconnected during the engine install. This connector has five wires including a large RED wire.

foxtrot said:
The first thing that I would check is the black connector on the passenger side of the engine. The connector supplies +12v to the blower resistor. It could have been left disconnected during the engine install. This connector has five wires including a large RED wire.

I've seen those corroded pretty badly on the inside too. That may be the problem itself.

Check the wire's coming off of the slector for the hot and cold mine was half melted and the blower would work one day and not the next(brown wire comes to mind)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor