Heater core

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikey

Apprentice
May 1, 2016
High Point, NC
Thank you so much for helping me! Is that 3m strip caulk like a tape that comes off a roll or is it in a tube? There’s a foam filter or something like that on one side of the evaporator that has fell off and is mostly disintegrated. Do I need to try to find one to replace it?

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thank you so much for helping me! Is that 3m strip caulk like a tape that comes off a roll or is it in a tube? There’s a foam filter or something like that on one side of the evaporator that has fell off and is mostly disintegrated. Do I need to try to find one to replace it?
The strips are placed next to each other in a flat box with a sort of wax paper between the layers. You peel off a strip at a time and can roll it up like a worm or a round ball. In other words you can form it to the shape that you need. This might help describe the product. Good stuff.
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Strip-Calk/?N=5002385+3293194020&rt=rud
As for the disintegrated foam, I would try replacing it if you can find a similar piece of foam.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Northcoast, Cleveland, Ohio
Ditto on the strip caulk. I always keep a box of it on hand and use it for everything. It can be found at body shop supply joints or in some of the better parts stores. My local Federated Auto has it. But they also sell body supplies.

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Ditto on the strip caulk. I always keep a box of it on hand and use it for everything. It can be found at body shop supply joints or in some of the better parts stores. My local Federated Auto has it. But they also sell body supplies.
Yeah, it's great stuff and it lasts a long time. My first box of Strip Caulk lasted me over 20 yrs, if you can believe that. I had to replenish my supply. Once you've used it, and had it at your disposal, you can't be without it.

Mikey

Apprentice
May 1, 2016
High Point, NC
Yeah, it's great stuff and it lasts a long time. My first box of Strip Caulk lasted me over 20 yrs, if you can believe that. I had to replenish my supply. Once you've used it, and had it at your disposal, you can't be without it.
Glad you told me about the strip caulk, pretty sure that was what was on there. Top lifted off pretty easy. I’ll go get some in the morning. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge!

Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Glad you told me about the strip caulk, pretty sure that was what was on there. Top lifted off pretty easy. I’ll go get some in the morning. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge!
You're quite welcome. That's the beauty of this stuff....you can lift off the top without too much effort. Good luck!

Mikey

Apprentice
May 1, 2016
High Point, NC
Mikey, go ahead and install the heater core and reinstall the top and screen.
The problem that you describe has nothing to do with the actual heater core installation.
Check for vacuum lines that may be disconnected...or broken.
Btw, I'd recommend using some 3M strip caulk to re-seal the HVAC box top.
Do not use silicone sealer. It stays pliable and doesn't harden.
Another cause that I've found with blend door flaps not opening properly is your actual heater control on the dash. Vacuum is routed to the control and when changing functions. I've had the same issue with mine and ended up replacing the dash control. I went thru a few before finding one that worked normally. I believe its the small rotary wheel that uses rubber to help guide the vacuum flow. They become compromised over time and do not seal as well.

Check both functions on the control. Maximum and normal. Sometimes switching to maximum will open up the proper doors and direct the air to the forward vents.
Jack...feeling pretty stupid right now....got the strip caulk this morning and started putting everything back together. Everything was going really well, but was getting tired and hungry and was not quite finished. I was putting the screen on and had this bracket left, and for the life of me, couldn’t remember where it went! Think it is the bracket that the wiper sprayer mounts to, but can’t find the holes to mount it. It may come to me in the morning when I get out there to finish. I’m putting a picture of it, maybe you can tell me if it looks familiar to you. Thanks!

Attachments

• 6026C8F5-9192-4DFC-BB4D-9B1733166B91.jpeg
    6026C8F5-9192-4DFC-BB4D-9B1733166B91.jpeg
    622.4 KB · Views: 218

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
Hmm, looks like I'm too late .... with the Strip Calk, keep your fingers wet! Makes a big difference. Stuff is just like rubber you can shape. The rubber piece that's supposed to seal around the tubes was gone on mine, piled up Strip Calk to seal there too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor