HEDMAN headers

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
Sorry to hijack this thread with this but I noticed you have a serpentine accessory kit and the a/c is on pass side. Can I ask what lines and condenser you used?
I actually have a thread I started asking that, if you wouldn’t mind answering there I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

F body/Caprice Serpentine items, F body hoses and G Body condenser for the Buick V6/Olds 5.0

Reactions: 1 user

200kss

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 17, 2006
Missouri
Try Hedman p/n 68608 Elite series, coated. mid length. 1 5/8 primary, 3 inch collector.

Michael Bennett

Greasemonkey
Jun 7, 2018
I've got the Flotech 1 5/8" coated headers on my automatic Malibu. The fit is great, can take the starter out without touching the headers or the right header off witout touching the starter. Had to grind a very small amount of superficial material off the pass a-arm mount but no biggie. My Dad has the 1 1/2" Hedmans on his 79 El Camino factory 4 speed and they are a quality header but fitment is a huge pain. With the new 383 I built him and the Milodon 6qt pan, getting the filter out is a huge mess and starter removal requires removing the header. Holley is telling him the Flo techs will fit the 4 spd, that he will just need to make a small mod. They are delivering tomorrow so hoping they fit around the z bar.

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
I've got the Flotech 1 5/8" coated headers on my automatic Malibu. The fit is great, can take the starter out without touching the headers or the right header off witout touching the starter. Had to grind a very small amount of superficial material off the pass a-arm mount but no biggie. My Dad has the 1 1/2" Hedmans on his 79 El Camino factory 4 speed and they are a quality header but fitment is a huge pain. With the new 383 I built him and the Milodon 6qt pan, getting the filter out is a huge mess and starter removal requires removing the header. Holley is telling him the Flo techs will fit the 4 spd, that he will just need to make a small mod. They are delivering tomorrow so hoping they fit around the z bar.
It makes me wonder how low those headers hang if you can get the starter off without unbolting or removing the header. The Hedmans tuck up close to the engine; you can't see them hanging down. I can have the right side header off in 15 minutes on my car.
I have no issues getting my oil filter on and off; but I also have a stock oil pan. Pretty much any header is going to run under the oil filter; the stock exhaust manifolds had the small single outlet close to the firewall so there were no pipes under the filter.

Michael Bennett

Greasemonkey
Jun 7, 2018
It makes me wonder how low those headers hang if you can get the starter off without unbolting or removing the header. The Hedmans tuck up close to the engine; you can't see them hanging down. I can have the right side header off in 15 minutes on my car.
I have no issues getting my oil filter on and off; but I also have a stock oil pan. Pretty much any header is going to run under the oil filter; the stock exhaust manifolds had the small single outlet close to the firewall so there were no pipes under the filter.
I did notice that the Hedman's do tuck up really tight. That's probably why the starter won't come out. The Flowtechs do hang lower than the Hedman's but definitely not enough to cause issues. Haven't taken the Hedman's on and off myself I just know that my Dad was so frustrated with the situation he ordered Flowtechs.

Michael Bennett

Greasemonkey
Jun 7, 2018
What's the flotech part number for the long tube ceramic headers?

Dad's headers showed up today and they were 63000FLT. They didn't look like mine. Looked it up on the Holley website and those are the headers for a 79 El Camino. If you look up 1980 Malibu it lists 63000FLT and 31104FLT. 31104FLT are the ones I have. The 31104FLT work really well and I'd recommend them highly. Not sure how they work with 4 speed, but for automatic, they for sure are nice headers.

Reactions: 1 users

Michael Bennett

Greasemonkey
Jun 7, 2018
Dad got the 63000FLT's installed and we are less than impressed. All spark plugs are harder to get to than the 31104FLT's that I have and the #6 spark plug is totally buried, will have to unbolt the dipstick tube(PITA) to get it out each time, not to mention the fact that he had to grind on the frame and A arms in about 4 different spots and the Z bar still rubs when you push on the clutch pedal. Needless to say, after two days of fiddling, he's pulling them off and putting the Hedman's back on.

Hedman's are probably fine, but his AFR headed 383 is pushing 500HP and 1 1/2" headers are going to kill some power. The 31104FLT Flowtechs I def don't look like they'd jive with the z bar either. Anybody know of any larger headers (1 5/8 or 1 3/4") that'll work with factory 4 speed set up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor