Hei distributer and roller cam question

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
Does a roller cam require a special type of HEI Distributer? My first time working with a roller cam. I can not get the Distributer gears to mesh with the cam gear keeping me from getting the HEI installed. It will drop in part way which I assume it is dropping onto the oil pump shaft but after that this thing doesn't want to do anything else. This is a 880 block number sbc. Off the top off my head I can't accurately tell anything about the cam. Any help would be appreciated.

565bbchevy

Geezer
G-Body of the Month
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Does a roller cam require a special type of HEI Distributer? My first time working with a roller cam. I can not get the Distributer gears to mesh with the cam gear keeping me from getting the HEI installed. It will drop in part way which I assume it is dropping onto the oil pump shaft but after that this thing doesn't want to do anything else. This is a 880 block number sbc. Off the top off my head I can't accurately tell anything about the cam. Any help would be appreciated.
The HEI isn't different and the gears are the same style but depending on the roller cam material will require a melonized, bronze or composite gear but regardless of the material the gear is made of shouldn't matter as far as fitment.
Try turning the oil pump shaft a little and see if the distributer drops down.

• Agree
Reactions: 7 users

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
The HEI isn't different and the gears are the same style but depending on the roller cam material will require a melonized, bronze or composite gear but regardless of the material the gear is made of shouldn't matter as far as fitment.
Try turning the oil pump shaft a little and see if the distributer drops down.
That's what I thought - I have a composite gear - this thing just does not want to mesh. I think I might dig out an old hei that I have and see if it will drop in (but not leave in) just to see if it might be the new distributer.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Sometimes the lower guide boss on the distributor body can bind in the block. I’ve had to hand fit a few distributor bodies to get into the block.

Reactions: 2 users

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
You might check the bottom of the drive gear for defects to ensure it will mesh with the pump shaft, and measure the length (height) of the gear as well as the overall length from the gasket surface to the end. It's not terribly uncommon to need some adjustment- I had to shim a Mallory once on a 350 "010" block w/hydraulic FT Comp Cam.

Not that it will necessarily solve your problem but here's a short read about distributor blueprinting and cam gear differences. https://www.chevyhardcore.com/tech-...ar-meshing-can-make-or-break-your-valvetrain/

Reactions: 3 users

spongbob

Greasemonkey
Oct 1, 2022
Sometimes the oil pump drive extension has some wear to the plastic joint coupler if so the shaft can lean far enough of center to hit the bottom of the nose edge ,you would know this though probably. Anyways Look down the length of the shaft hole see anything with an led flashlight like the slotted end of the shaft beside the gear ? What position is the slot in ? Ok take the distributor hold it in the right position to put it in toward the front with rotar or one tooth to the left or center front: what is the pins position on the bottom of the gear is it 1 o'clock? 2 o'clock ect. decide then take a long screw driver and turn the oil pump drive shaft untill the slots the same position as the position of the pin in the gear at normal install position .remember the gear will turn to the right at least 1/8 a turn when dropping into meshing spot". It's normal to possibly move the drive shaft like a 32nd of an inch to finalize the mesh of the drive pin or rock the crank back and forth with say a large rachett and socket untill the gear it finds the shaft slot in the hole" of course then and there get back( turn) to the zero on TDC firing stroke ( preferably by hand)and see that your rotors left of center ( 1/8th clkwise or about 35degrees left of dead ahead) .when on TDC from there you can put cap on and turn key to on then watch for spark turn * rock the distributor untill it first a sparks out the wire or terminal ( no 1)thats the basic timing ,it will run there but generally add 10 degrees( from first spark position) if your shure your on TDC you can't go wrong...I'm saying use your wrench to position the gears as turning it over it might skip a teeth or two unless you stick the bolt and clamp on ( ride up) don't turn a motor with a wrench while keys on...just move the distributor if your checking for initial location of the distributor body and the rotor to terminal spot."(spark) Hope this isn't to confusing...I forget but maybe the pin in dizzy nose is aligned with the rotor direction..

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
G-Body of the Month
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Sometimes the oil pump drive extension has some wear to the plastic joint coupler
I would hope he is running an aftermarket shaft with a steel sleeve.

• Agree

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
Sometimes the lower guide boss on the distributor body can bind in the block. I’ve had to hand fit a few distributor bodies to get into the block.
It was the dreaded .491 vs .500. I never experienced this problem before but since using a .500 the sucker fits.

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
Sometimes the oil pump drive extension has some wear to the plastic joint coupler if so the shaft can lean far enough of center to hit the bottom of the nose edge ,you would know this though probably. Anyways Look down the length of the shaft hole see anything with an led flashlight like the slotted end of the shaft beside the gear ? What position is the slot in ? Ok take the distributor hold it in the right position to put it in toward the front with rotar or one tooth to the left or center front: what is the pins position on the bottom of the gear is it 1 o'clock? 2 o'clock ect. decide then take a long screw driver and turn the oil pump drive shaft untill the slots the same position as the position of the pin in the gear at normal install position .remember the gear will turn to the right at least 1/8 a turn when dropping into meshing spot". It's normal to possibly move the drive shaft like a 32nd of an inch to finalize the mesh of the drive pin or rock the crank back and forth with say a large rachett and socket untill the gear it finds the shaft slot in the hole" of course then and there get back( turn) to the zero on TDC firing stroke ( preferably by hand)and see that your rotors left of center ( 1/8th clkwise) .when on TDC from there you can put cap on and turn key to on then watch for spark turn * rock the distributor untill it first a sparks out the wire or terminal ( no 1)thats the basic timing ,it will run there but generally add 10 degrees( from first spark position) if your shure your on TDC you can't go wrong...I'm saying use your wrench to position the gears as turning it over it might skip a teeth or two unless you stick the bolt and clamp on ( ride up) don't turn a motor with a wrench while keys on...just move the distributor if your checking for initial location of the distributor body and the rotor to terminal spot."(spark) Hope this isn't to confusing...I forget but maybe the pin in dizzy nose is aligned with the rotor direction..
It was the dreaded .491 vs .500. I never experienced this problem before but since using a .500 the sucker fits.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor