HEI Distributor Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Screenshot_20220625-100538-269.png

So does this mean you can drop the distributor flush to the engine and the rotor can be in any position but you will have to set your number one spark plug wire at that rotor position on the distributor cap ?

Reactions: 1 user

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
True for an even fire engine, but you would have problems with an odd fire engine trying to make number one whatever tower you want. If you don't understand exactly what you are doing I would ignore such things, valid or not.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
While there is no specific number 1 location on the cap most pre made sets of SBC spark plug wires are cut to fit best using the terminal that faces the number 1 spark plug.

• Agree
  • Useful
Reactions: 4 users

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
True for an even fire engine, but you would have problems with an odd fire engine trying to make number one whatever tower you want. If you don't understand exactly what you are doing I would ignore such things, valid or not.
What is an even fire engine in what is an odd fire engine?

Aren't small block Chevys an even fire engine ?

The reason I'm asking is because I think my rotor was pointing in the 4 position instead of the 5:30 position when I dropped the distributor, and if this above statement is true, I should just be able to position my wires 1 terminal forward and everything should run fine...

It's either that or remove the distributor and drop it again so that it's in the 5:30 position...

But right now my issue is a delayed throttle response.

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Yes the SBC is even fire you can move the wires if you want it will still work.

Another point is if you start changing things will you remember what you did when it comes time to fix it in the future or will you have to waste time figuring it out?

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Plus it's tacky not to have it in the right place. A buddy of mine has an awesome 57 Chevy and the distributer is askew from not being in the right place

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Yeah I understand the concept you take cylinder one spark plug wire and run it to whatever terminal that sits where the rotor was before you put the cap on and follow the firing order from there... It's as easy as routing the cylinder one spark plug wire and going in the fire order at the cap to figure out the order that it's in if I did it that way... But I didn't, instead I adjusted the timing and I believe I was too far advanced because my daughter response was delayed and my exhaust backfired when I was driving it today.. so I retarded it and now the response is much better and it doesn't backfire even when I floor it.

I thought maybe I was a terminal off with my spark plug wiring at the cap and it was causing the delay in acceleration... that happened to me one time when I bought a GMC Jimmy and the spark plug wires were crossed and I didn't figure it out for about a week and the acceleration sucked until I found they were crossed and I corrected them.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
You want to be able to adjust your timing with an HEI that has a vacuum canister by turning your distributor either way without having any interference with the vacuum canister hitting your intake or firewall etc. and not having any spark plug wires that are pulled tight or excessively long.
Plus when you keep no. 1 where it should be the only wires that will cross over to the opposites sides are 2 and 3.

1656181728214.png

Reactions: 2 users

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
If you want to insert the SBC distributor the quick and easy way, well, one of many ways for #1 cylinder, just as long as you are TDC on the compression stroke, have a look at this...

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Good video however, I think it's most common to put #1 Right after the power connector tang. ( Where he has #2) At least that's how everyone has always done it where I grew up. To me, It just makes the most sense.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor