Hello World :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Adrian_

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 28, 2015
Leduc, AB
Hey guys..

First time poster and finally have time to start looking for a G body to build and enjoy.

Build:
Mid to Late 80's Monte Carlo SS ( still searching )

Engine: 454 GEN V
I have a core that I can build ( low compression on 2 cylinders ) yet I can't make up my mind which route I want to go yet ( high compression lumpy cam VS Turbo ). I do know that its a 4 bolt main, and already has a TCI flex plate. I will be tearing down this engine in the next few days and will start to order some basics :
- Frost Plugs
- Cam and Crank Bearings ( Clevite TriMetal )
- Scat Forged Crank ( Stock )
- Scat Forged Rods ( Stock )
- Aluminum Heads (which will get a good CNC porting once I get them)
- Oversize and Undercut Valves
- Good set of Valve Springs
- Hydraulic Roller Cam
- Billet Distributor ( Cam Positioning duty with proper shutter and billet cover )
- Billet Roller Rockers
- Hardened Push Rods
- Electric Water Pump

And Last but not least....
My own custom intake as I'm not finding what I want on the market for this motor :)
Intake will be a 3 piece lower unit with ITB's merging into a common plenum. I will be using my own design on the lower using but using a few off the shelf components to make life easier...
ITB's will be SpeedMaster 50mm IDA style Throttle Bodies
Plenum will be Holley's Hi-Ram Intake Top with the mating Holley Flange.
The neck of the plenum will be slightly modified and it will be machined and tapered to match to an 5" V-band for ease of servicing and future wrenching.

Transmission: 700R4
I had this transmission collecting dust for a while now. I fully rebuilt this last summer with an Alto Red Eagle clutch kit with the 3-4 Power Pack as well as the Power Band. While in there I also added a few TransGO updates ( 700-2&3, 700LU, 700-2P, 700PKH, 700CS and 7-472)
All I need to do is add a beefed up stall converter and I'm golden!

The only thing I'm dreading is the body work...the rest is easy!
EFI harnesses I will fabricate my own as I have the proper terminal crimper as well as the proper pin tool kit... I've done this before and its more time consuming than difficult. The EFI unit I had in mind was the MegaSquirt V3 as I already have experience with the unit and its fairly simple.

Reactions: 1 user

SleeperDubs

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 27, 2015
Hello friend.

I am a noob guy here. What a list you have there. Sounds like a awesome build. I am also looking for a car to build into a pro-touring style street cruising Malibu Wagon.

565bbchevy

Geezer
G-Body of the Month
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I am curious as to your reason to keep a stock stroke crankshaft when replacing it with a new forged Scat crank and rods instead of buying a 4.25 and stroking it to a 496?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

_Adrian_

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 28, 2015
Leduc, AB
This build is going to be sort of "Jekyll and Mr. Hyde"...
Nice to Cruise yet it can go like a scalded rat :)

Might have even found a roller... going to take a look at it today :)

_Adrian_

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 28, 2015
Leduc, AB
I am curious as to your reason to keep a stock stroke crankshaft when replacing it with a new forged Scat crank and rods instead of buying a 4.25 and stroking it to a 496?

I suppose a square bore motor sounds a bit more interesting, however I haven't done the math on the VE and BSFC yet...

565bbchevy

Geezer
G-Body of the Month
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I suppose a square bore motor sounds a bit more interesting, however I haven't done the math on the VE and BSFC yet...
Well, it would not be square anyways once you rebuild it since it would most likely get a 0.030 overbore.

_Adrian_

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 28, 2015
Leduc, AB
Well, it would not be square anyways once you rebuild it since it would most likely get a 0.030 overbore.

Block has less then 55000mi...
Main reason why it has been "retired" is because of a sticking valve and low oil pressure...
I did find the culprit in the end and it was a cracked oil pick up tube as well as a well "worn" main bearing.

Just heading out to drop the block off at the machine shop to have it cleaned up and have new cam bearings dropped in as well as fresh frost plugs as well. Next weekend off to the powder coating guy :)

_Adrian_

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 28, 2015
Leduc, AB
The Cams I'm looking at right now are the both Comp Cams grinds 11-604-4 and 01-424-8 but I dunno yet...
Worst case scenario I can go to a custom grind like 270s/280s @ .050 110 lsa .780" net lift for some "decent" numbers...

_Adrian_

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 28, 2015
Leduc, AB
Tonight...
I really been thinkering with the idea of putting a FULL independent rear suspension in the rear.
Any input ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor