HELP...Bring Back The Shine!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
My Cutlass was originally gray, but the previous owner had it re-sprayed in black. It looks like it was done with a very thin base coat and clear in a single stage paint. My guess is that it was another Maaco drive by shooting. :rofl: Anyways, even when the car is clean the paint is very dull and it looks like it was dried in the sun. Very water spotted and runny looking. I tried to wax it today but nothing happened. Is there a way that I can bring back the shine so it doesnt look like crap? Im planning on having it repainted next summer, but the paint right now just kills the look of the car.

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010
Generally speaking if you look down the side of the car ( ie: stand behind one tail light and look towards front of car along the side) that is as good as the paint is going to look. So if you do this and the paint appears shiny but if you look head on and its dull, you can bring the shine back. Otherwise not worth the trouble.

You need a soft foam pad, polishing compound and a DA or even just a regular buffer. Speed control is mandatory, 2200 rpm is good.

Buff it, and wax.

My skylark used to have crap paint. Did this once a year and it held up good for 2 months before dulling out again.

Lots of how to videos on youtube about this. I prefer mcguiars products, but everyone has their opinion. Just dont use turtle wax.

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
Thanks. The suckish thing is, is that I already used a little bit of turtle wax today :shock: . Like I said it looks like crap anyway so i guess i cant do anymore damage with an orbital buffer.

Evan11

Royal Smart Person
Apr 17, 2009
Southern Indiana
Kwik_Cutty88 said:
Thanks. The suckish thing is, is that I already used a little bit of turtle wax today :shock: . Like I said it looks like crap anyway so i guess i cant do anymore damage with an orbital buffer.
Try some nu-finish wax on the buffer. Pretty good stuff to get the dull faded paint off, then I would hand wax it was some zymol wax, it's great stuff. Tad bit expensive, but I've hand waxed a 92 ford pickup that was totally dulled down, and with one application, it's luster and shine was Back! U can buy it at Walmart or autozone for about 12-$14.

Evan11

Royal Smart Person
Apr 17, 2009
Southern Indiana
online170 said:
Generally speaking if you look down the side of the car ( ie: stand behind one tail light and look towards front of car along the side) that is as good as the paint is going to look. So if you do this and the paint appears shiny but if you look head on and its dull, you can bring the shine back. Otherwise not worth the trouble.

You need a soft foam pad, polishing compound and a DA or even just a regular buffer. Speed control is mandatory, 2200 rpm is good.

Buff it, and wax.

My skylark used to have crap paint. Did this once a year and it held up good for 2 months before dulling out again.

Lots of how to videos on youtube about this. I prefer mcguiars products, but everyone has their opinion. Just dont use turtle wax.
He's right, turtle wax sucks. I only use it on chrome, it does fine for that and its cheap. I prefer zymol and mcquiars

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010
Guys, wax does not make a car shiny. Its a protectant to KEEP the car shiny.

Unless youre using a foam pad and polishing or cutting compound, youre wasting your time.

The pad and compound cost about $100 ea. But ive been using them 2-3 times a year for 4+ years now, still have alot of compound left, it goes forever. A speed variable buffer will cost you about $99 at princess auto.

Evan11

Royal Smart Person
Apr 17, 2009
Southern Indiana
wax takes off old dull residue if its there. try waxing a dull car, your applicating pad will become the color of the car.

Intragration

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2012
Chicago
I use Kit Scratch Out followed by NXT wax on every car. The Scratch Out is very mild, but it removes the haze and swirls and has brought back some pretty dull paint for me. The NXT is pretty miraculous. This is of course just my two cents, everyone has an opinion on their methods. This works for me.

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
Well i didnt get out to buy any compound today but I think I did pretty good woth what I had. An orbital buffer with a cleaning wax and then a polish, and then korkay wax. It came out better than it was, but I still want to hit it with some compound. Will post pics tommorow.

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
Here are some pictures..

Before:

IMG_0668.jpg

After:

3203dd03.jpg

...and here is that funky water spotting looking thing the paint is still doing. It's less noticeable now but still there.. :evil:

df923e31.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor