Help! Holley 750 doesn’t draw any fuel

1983calais

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Feb 26, 2015
Tiffin, OH
So I decided to get back on this tonight. When I can’t figure something out, I move on to something else for a day or two or in this case, a week. I try to rethink my steps and keep thinking about the issue at hand. I decided to tear the carb down again and inspect everything again. It still looks good and carb cleaner and air go through all the ports and passages how they are intended. So I bolted it back on, put some gas in the bowls, and cranked it over. It fired immediately and the same symptoms. I then put my hand on top of it to choke it out some and it decided to stay running on its own. I adjusted the four corner idle screws and the fast idle screw and got it to run without my hand on it. It ran terrible but ran. So I shut it off and took the Carb back off. It either is getting too much air or not enough fuel. I took the baseplate off and started looking at it closely. It has a small hole in the throttle blades for idling purposes and thought about plugging them to limit some of the air but in my experience with a bigger cam and cubic inches with good flowing heads, those holes make a huge difference. So I’m thinking and looking at the baseplate and I see it, a crack in the casting. I don’t have another baseplate to swap it out at the moment but I will get one and I’m hoping this is the issue. Thanks for all the input everyone! Now I’m thinking why did it crack and how?

Reactions: 1 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Well, well, well, lookie here. Why? hmm, old age, bad casting, poor quality control, a previous owner went Ahnie on the base to manifold mounting bolts or nuts, someone prior to you tore it down and dropped that part on the floor. The carb was a bitsa, i.e. made up from parts and components from various sources and whoever built it didn't pay attention to why those parts had been discarded or binned in the first place.

Nick

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor