Help motor problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
Why did you replace the gaskets in the first place? Did it blow a gasket or something? Just wondering if there are clues from before it was taken down.

87montecarlomrc

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2010
Oklahoma
CHRIS.O said:
Why did you replace the gaskets in the first place? Did it blow a gasket or something? Just wondering if there are clues from before it was taken down.

I just pulled the motor cause it was winter time and I thought I would regasket the motor, these same heads are off the stock 305 which cracked the block on the same #7 cylinder, it cracked the block from inside the motor all the way on the outside, I don't have a clue how it happened it was just idling when that happened, so I got this motor from a 89 vette and just used the same heads which worked good for 5 years and about 7000miles, it ran like a beast lol

87montecarlomrc

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2010
Oklahoma
Well I went out and rechecked all my gaskets and the gaskets that were on there for 5 years were 305 gaskets on a 350. They over lap the cyclinder buy alil bit, I almost feel dumb for telling you guys this. Idk how the motor even ran without blown a head gasket or something. Which I was only about 16 when I put the motor together and did it all buy myself. I was pround of myself then but Now I see I was just a dumb *ss lol. Well now I'm wondering if the head has always been warped and mayb the 305 gasket just patched that warp up, I'm just thrown ideas out there

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
it doesn't cost much to send a head out to check it to make sure it's flat and to take a couple of thou off to clean up the surface...

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
If your block is good then just buy your friends heads assuming they need no work and bolt it back together. Or now could be the time to upgrade to some vortecs :twisted: Or re use the other heads if you want to have them milled.

87montecarlomrc

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2010
Oklahoma
CHRIS.O said:
If your block is good then just buy your friends heads assuming they need no work and bolt it back together. Or now could be the time to upgrade to some vortecs :twisted: Or re use the other heads if you want to have them milled.

His heads are good and need no work, he got a zz4 crate motor and just swapped em out. I drove the car alot and the motor was still strong so I'm thinkn I'm goin that way till I get sone better heads

hotwheelsboy28

Greasemonkey
Feb 4, 2011
Jasper, Tennessee
I noticed you said you had a set of 601 castings. That's what I have on mine! You can't go wrong with them for cheap! Mine were reworked with a 3 angle valve job, I took felpro gaskets intake and exhaust lined them up marked the heads with a sharpie and went to cutting (home port job) could'nt be more happy with them for a cheap fix im running a comp .486/.488 lift cam .060 over 350 with flattops and a regular head gasket & around 10.5:1 compression rpm intake and a holley 750 vaccum secondary and man does it have the get up and go! night and day difference from 882's

87montecarlomrc

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2010
Oklahoma
I went and got my buddies heads and cleaned them up and got them on my motor but haven't got the intake on yet, I may get it running tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor