Help. smooth idle in P/N,but rough in gear

Status
Not open for further replies.

80maroonbu

Not-quite-so-new-guy
my 80 bu has a completely stock v6 3.8L 231. it starts perfect and idles nice. but once i put it in gear, R or D, it idles really rough. i have changed ALL the vacuum hoses today except the one to the canister and tightened all the bolts on the carb. still no change. anyone have any ideas, or seen this type of situation? any ideas would be great.
thanks in advance
David

Check the distributor advance, if the timing isn't advancing under high vacuum conditions you may have a vacuum line in the wrong place, a stuck vacuum advance, etc...

i curious as to if you found out what the problem is as my Monte Carlo with the Buick 231 has started doing the same thing you describe though when i put the car into drive or reverse it tends to just stall and die, and the only way to keep it running when i come to a stop is to keep my foot on the gas. now after about 10min of driving the problem goes away completely, any help would be appreciated and sorry for resurrecting a dead thread

VonbraunZ said:
i curious as to if you found out what the problem is as my Monte Carlo with the Buick 231 has started doing the same thing you describe though when i put the car into drive or reverse it tends to just stall and die, and the only way to keep it running when i come to a stop is to keep my foot on the gas. now after about 10min of driving the problem goes away completely, any help would be appreciated and sorry for resurrecting a dead thread

Sounds like you may have a bad choke pulloff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor