Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
jimc787 said:
I HAVE V BELTS!

no need to yell....perhaps next time you can post what kind of belts you have installed then I wouldn't be wasting my time on your problems..... :roll:

JESSE

Master Mechanic
Nov 21, 2007
GULFPORT,MS
belts

i just can't belive that you haven't found your problem yet :shock: if the noise goes away when you take the belt off, the problem has to be one of the componets that the belt goes around. have you checked the alt and water pump pulleys for slack? jest because a part is new doesn't mean that is good...good luck ....jesse

Uncletruck

Master Mechanic
Apr 22, 2007
Erie, PA
Just a few thoughts here. If you are not using the car and it sits a lot, it is not uncommon for the belts to pick up moisture and the insides of the pulleys to get some surface rust which will cause some squealing at startup. This usually goes away after the car is used on a regular basis. If it persists, try a different brand of belt. Sounds funny, but I've had that solve the problem before.

As pointed out in another post, you need to get the belt relatively tight. There is most often an area on the alternator to put a wrench on it to keep tension on it while tightening the bolt. Just hand pressure on the alternator won't likely be enough.

Also pointed out earlier in the thread the Olds engines did not use serpentine belts- not sure how that question got in to the picture?? :?: Sometimes (myself guilty too) we respond to a thread without reading the whole thing.

-UT-

-UT-

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Uncletruck said:
Also pointed out earlier in the thread the Olds engines did not use serpentine belts- not sure how that question got in to the picture?? :?: Sometimes (myself guilty too) we respond to a thread without reading the whole thing.
-UT-

actually there were tow posts about olds engines that had a serpentine belts and the op never did state what kind of belt he was running...so I did read the whole thing...

for once... :lol:

jimc787

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 2, 2008
Thanks for all the ideas and things to check guys. I'll repost when i find the problem. :D

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
You have to either put back on your A/C pump/belt or move your Alt to the other side. I cut the A/C belt on my 307, it squealled til it broke. I will have to check junk yards for the serpentine set up, have never seen one before.

Mr. Brezz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 1, 2008
Newark, De
Just remove the AIR system

I have a 307 and I just removed all that Air Injection Reaction system. That 80's GM emissions control sh*t was a joke, they thought they were being advanced but it just slows your car down. I can't think of a reason to keep the AIR set up, but if I'm wrong please let me know.

treed_cutlass

Apprentice
Oct 17, 2008
If you want a quick way of finding out which belt is squealing take a squirt bottle (like windex or whatever) and fill it with water... Run your engine and spray it twice at the pulley in question, trying not to get any water on any of the other belts. If it stops squealing, that's the culprit. (It'll start squealing again when the water "wears" off).

So it stopped squealing when you took off the alternator belt... That could be a "balance" issue. If it DOESN'T stop squealing when you spray the alternator belt, then you know it's a balance issue, not the alternator belt slipping because of no tension or whatever.

The solution to this would be a passenger side alternator bracket, as someone above said. Should be somewhat easy to fab up if you have a place to do it. Like this:

http://www.bopengineering.com/olds_v8.shtml

If you look at the picture that's just some plate, and round tube, and some bolts. You just need to get the round tube trimmed to the right length, and the right length bolts to align the belts.

When i took out my A/C and AIR my PS belt squealed like a mother... I got one size shorter PS belt, re-tensioned and it's good. I'm sure it puts extra wear on the pump, but I'm gonna re-produce that alternator bracket soon at my buddies metal shop. *hopefully*

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor