Help with Pivot Pin/Broken Bolt Removal ***Pictures added***

Status
Not open for further replies.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
hammer drill is used for going into concrete. Doesn't work on steel ( you'll just kill the drill bit )

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
He means a impact drill, not hammer drill. They do work well.

blizack

Greasemonkey
Jan 25, 2009
Toronto, On, Canada
I'm actually pretty sure its a hammer drill. I've heard that it is best used on concrete but the cobalt drill bits have been strong enough to hold up against the vibrations.

I've done a lot of drilling today and now the plan is to tap the hole (re-thread) and use a larger bolt for a puller. The only problem with this is that the taps that I'm using are all tapered at the edges so I lose about 1/4'' of threads. The threads have not been deep enough to hold any pullers in place. I've even tried torching the puller while it was screwed in so that it would expand and maybe hold better but no luck so far.

fodoimp

Master Mechanic
Oct 8, 2006
Southern New Jersey
go to the hardware store and buy a bottom tap its not tapered. If you can cut one or two threads in with your standard tap the bottom tap will pick up where that left off.

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
Are you sure it's a hammer drill? those things are about 4 feet long and have a drill bit about 1 inch thick. It is way too big for your application, i have a impact drill which looks like a regular cordless drill but it "hammers" at the same time it turns. That would be perfect for what you need.

blizack

Greasemonkey
Jan 25, 2009
Toronto, On, Canada
Oh sorry. I guess it is an impact drill. I've always heard of them as hammer drills.

This is all getting very frustrating now. The tapping process isn't working very well. I'm getting very desperate now. Considering that this tilt assembly is used is so many different cars, I actually wouldn't mind breaking that one pin and getting a new one from a scrap yard. Other than doing that, this is my next plan of action:

02-09-09_2107.jpg

blizack

Greasemonkey
Jan 25, 2009
Toronto, On, Canada
I know that it seems that with a hole that long, the pivot pin is structurally weakened. My solution to this, since I'm so good at it, is to break a screw off inside of the pin and leave it there. Maybe some 40 years down the road someone will try pulling it off and have as good of a time with it as me hahaha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor