Hesitation and stalling

Status
Not open for further replies.

83gbody

Greasemonkey
Apr 17, 2012
Oxford, Ms
I have a chevy 305 with edelbrock carburetor 1405 an chevy 350 transmission. The problems I'm having is the car hesitates an spit gas out of top of carb when moving from stop position but car will drive an shift fine after that. Then after goin up an down the road a couple of times as the car heats up I can push the gas an it will barely move when first pushing the gas but soon picks up. What could be my problem. Thanks

83gbody

Greasemonkey
Apr 17, 2012
Oxford, Ms
Floats will cause it to hesitate like that?

MightyCarlo86

Greasemonkey
Dec 15, 2012
Not too sure about the hesitation, but on my brothers car his floats werent adjusted right and I remember fuel had a habit of comeing out of the top of the carb. Wish I knew more, Im sure the other guys who are alot more knowledgeable will help you out when they see the post. Sorry I cant help you out more.

83gbody

Greasemonkey
Apr 17, 2012
Oxford, Ms
Thanks for help

techg8

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
check for accellerator pump shots. if its not pumping you can get a hesitate then go. And the gas out the top of the cab can happen via a lean backfire

after it warms up if the loss of power is occurring at light throttle pressure ie at lean cruise, then you may have an overlean mixture. check for vacuum leaks.

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
First of all make sure to check the fuel pressure - it should not be greater than 5 psi.

The 1405 is a very simple carburetor design that is easy to tune and diagnose. Since you have gas coming out of the top it's most likely a float adjustment. There is a nice video on their website that shows how to check and set the floats.

83gbody

Greasemonkey
Apr 17, 2012
Oxford, Ms
Thanks

83gbody

Greasemonkey
Apr 17, 2012
Oxford, Ms
Rebuilt carburetor hesitation stops now car run rough when in gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor