history on how the g body came about? ended?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbo Regal

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 25, 2009
Somewhere in Missouri
Re: history on how the g bosy came about? ended?

It seems GM always terminates cars just as they're getting good. Remember when the Grand National all of the sudden was beating Corvettes?

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA

patmckinneyracing said:
GN's that had the intercooler could utilize higher boost. I've seen a stock GN with turned up boost that ran a 11.2 in the quarter.

Which means it was NOT "stock". No one argues that the GN has tremendous potential (the best cars are well into the 9s now), but they did NOT run 10s or 11s from the showroom by any stretch.

Turbo Regal

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 25, 2009
Somewhere in Missouri

joe_padavano said:
patmckinneyracing said:
GN's that had the intercooler could utilize higher boost. I've seen a stock GN with turned up boost that ran a 11.2 in the quarter.

Which means it was NOT "stock". No one argues that the GN has tremendous potential (the best cars are well into the 9s now), but they did NOT run 10s or 11s from the showroom by any stretch.

For the record, 1986 and 1987 Grand Nationals came stock with an intercooler. But you are right they did not run 10's and 11's off the show room.

breeaad said:
Since when did a GN run 10's-11's out of the factory??? Low 13's was about the best it got unless you threw slicks on it and bolted a few pieces out of a catalog on to it. I beat a GN at interstate speeds in my '06 Maxima company car with 200K on it. They were fast for the time, and have tons and tons of potential. But it wasn't a killer out of the box. Not to todays standards.

LOL either he wasn't racing or he didn't know how to drive it. Otherwise I call b.s. about your so called kill story. Nissan Maximas aren't any real challenge to even a hot air Grand National. As for making it run faster than 13's, you didn't have to bolt on anything out of a catalog....you simply added slicks, added some high octane race fuel after purging the tank of whatever gas was in it, and then turned up the boost.That got you in the 12's. Which for a mid 80's V6 to do that was pretty impressive. Grand Nationals are still impressive to this day even in stock form.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX

I read somewhere that the GN's did not initially come with an intercooler, but the info I read may have been referring to the first turbo regals that came out.

IMO simply turning up the boost still leaves the car in stock form. You can easily turn down the boost to factory spec if you wanted to. The motor came with the turbo, therefore any adjustments to it is still stock in most respects. Now having a motor that is girdled with larger injectors and other aftermarket pieces, that's not stock of course.

And another thing, todays standards of cars flat out sucks. Trying to sell me on a POS maxima beating a grand national. Either your trying to be funny or someone sold you some shitty crack. A factory maxima can possibly get a low 16 in the quarter if that.

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada

FALSE. Black Bear!
... :rofl:

I think you're right Pat... the GNs initially did not come with an intercooler. I think they were added later on, and a beefier one was used for the GNX. (but I could be full of sh*t). However, upgrades like a better intercooler, downpipe, and heat shield on a GN is VERY common, you'll hardly see a GN these days without these small mods, unless the owner is a true concours kinda guy.

and I'm gonna have to agree with Turbo Regal... I'm 2nd-ing bullshit on the Maxima story. There's a bunch of serious GN guys around here who have stock form GNs with simple "tuning", like the adjustments mentioned by Turbo Regal... and these guys eat my GP for lunch.

... that being said, I've seen some decent Maxima's that run 15s and 14s outta the factory.
...... I dunno anything about Maxima's, but I've heard those 90s model are decently quick
......... either that, or the "ethnicities" that drive them have some of their husselin $$$ money in them

- OHHHH SNAP! racism joke - :rofl:

... my $0.02

mkiiisupra

Master Mechanic
Dec 28, 2008
Versailles, KY
Now its time for me to throw in my knowledge about turbo buicks. All turbo buicks prior to 1986 were whats known as hot air turbos. Meaning that they did not have an intercooler. Starting in 1986 and again in 1987 all turbo buicks had intercoolers. Off the factory floor they would run 14s, the GNx on the other hand had that trick rear suspension setup and could go 13.20s with a 0-60 time of 4.5 secs. Not bad for its day and the piss poor aerodynamics, but no where near what the previous posts claim in this topic. Just for sh*ts and giggles, that quarter mile time was pretty close to the Porsche 928 which ran a 13.9 quarter mile time and 0-60 in 5.5 seconds. The Tesstarossa for that year ran a 13.7 quarter mile.

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA

Turbo Regal said:
joe_padavano said:
patmckinneyracing said:

For the record, 1986 and 1987 Grand Nationals came stock with an intercooler. But you are right they did not run 10's and 11's off the show room.

Yes, they did. I was talking about the "turned up boost" (which I bolded in the quote) and the other unstated mods to go along with it. That part was not stock.

Brick442

Master Mechanic
Apr 16, 2009
Jersey Shore
lol . . . to get back on topic . . . I wish we could find former GM execs or Engineers who worked on/developed these G-Bodies . . . I noticed on some other car sites they managed to find/interview people in the planning stages or engineers which provided some cool insight on engine selection, options that almost were, etc.

In the "earlier" days of the Internet (I'm talking 13-15 years ago) there was a car sight that had a bunch of rare behind-the-scenes pics of some Cutlasses being built, including 83 Hurst/Olds at Cars and Concepts and some 442's at the Arlington Plant. I wish I saved some of those pics, I haven't scene most of them since.

papabearxl

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2008
Parrottsville, TN

patmckinneyracing said:
I read somewhere that the GN's did not initially come with an intercooler, but the info I read may have been referring to the first turbo regals that came out.

IMO simply turning up the boost still leaves the car in stock form. You can easily turn down the boost to factory spec if you wanted to. The motor came with the turbo, therefore any adjustments to it is still stock in most respects. Now having a motor that is girdled with larger injectors and other aftermarket pieces, that's not stock of course.

And another thing, todays standards of cars flat out sucks. Trying to sell me on a POS maxima beating a grand national. Either your trying to be funny or someone sold you some shitty crack. A factory maxima can possibly get a low 16 in the quarter if that.

He said "shittty crack"...... :rofl:

84cutlassjuggalo

G-Body Guru
Jun 25, 2010
Morell PEI Canada

1evilregal said:
I'm a mopar man at heart, but really lost respect for chrysler when they slapped 2 extra doors on the charger, but gained some back with the release of the challenger..

sorry to go back off topic but i strongly agree the one thing that got me extreamly mad was they made the charge look like crap (yes nice lookin car but under that name looks like crap) yet when the challenger came out it got to keep its older styling. The one thing that really gets to me is that an add on the web one time said it time for the new dodge challenger " can it cary the flag of the general lee" (or something along the lines of that its been 3 years ago i saw it) i got mad beasue as we all know the general was a charegr not a challenger. also id really like to see the new chagers do half the stuff the 69s did lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor