history on how the g body came about? ended?

Status
Not open for further replies.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Re: history on how the g bosy came about? ended?

When I mentioned the whole "global warming" concept coming about I was referring to the late 70's and early 80's. This is when EPA and environmental regulations began to take effect.

1evilregal, I will agree with you that Chrysler lost a chunk of my respect when they released the charger. I was expecting a retro styled car with body lines from 69' and 70'. Now I just think of it as an oversized dodge camry. Now what would be cool is if they came out with that roadrunner concept I saw in one of these mopar mags. I forgot which one it was but the pics are all over google.

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC

Caballero

Apprentice
Oct 12, 2009

They also put 4cyls in Camaros during that era, so I guess we should be thankful for the 305

silent_orchestra

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2009
Omaha, NE

GM has actually been making cars the way they did the G's since the 30's... (as far as same basic car, different badging).. For example '38 Chevy/Poncho (same car), '38 Olds, Buick, LaSalle, Cad (pretty much all the same) they all had their own engines, but the frames and main bodies were the same... all they did was stick in a different dash, grill, hood, fenders, and lights.. MoPar did it too (40's Plymouths, Dodges, DeSotos, Chryslers), Ford did also (40's Fords and Mercs, Lincolns were dif.)

WIKD CUT

Apprentice
May 28, 2010

Not to get too far off topic but the government has been controlling what comes out of Detroit for some time now. Environmental regulations led to the smog pump motors that marked the end of the muscle car hey day. Government crash ratings led to car becoming too heavy and cumbersome for any sort of performance. Basically, 1972 marked the end of the "horsepower wars" and marked the beginning of choked, smog motors to appease the tree huggers. We were told that we were "running out" of fossil fuels and that the planet was warming due to carbon emissions. (Sound familiar). The government basically told us that there was no need for "performance" cars. What we really needed was overweight, under-powered, fugly boats that met some magical MPG number.

The current "muscle cars" coming out of Detroit are cool, but I believe they will begin to disappear when the new CAFE standards kick in. The new technology that allows a 450 hp engine to get 25 mpg on the highway is promising, but I still feel that Uncle Sam will nix the whole idea of "performance" vehicles in the future.

Another one of the problems with the current pony cars is their weight. They are far too heavy to be true performance cars. Why are they so heavy??? Creature comforts, air bags, computer systems. Seriously, who needs heated seats on their Z06 vette??? These cars are loaded with navigation systems, 6 CD changers, heated seats, heated cup holders,etc. Why are all these items on "performance" cars??? Remember back in the day when you could order a muscle car with a radio delete option, no AC, aluminum doors and hood and trunk??? We now have "performance" cars over two tons!!! C'mon Detroit!!! By putting the Stangs, Camaros and Challengers on a diet, you could possibly have a factory muscle car that could run in the low 12s, high 11s with slicks at an affordable price. Instead they load them up with yuppie creature comforts so that somebody's $7.00 cup of Starbucks doesn't get cold.

Anyway, g-bodies were mass produced and cheaply built, but that was the way it was for years. GM did it with the GPs, Cutlasses, Montes, Malibus, GNs, Regals, Lemanses. Chrysler did it with the Reliant Ks, Aries, and are now doing it with the 300C, Chargers and Challengers. Ford has done it for years with Lincoln and Mercury. The manufacturers do this to save money by having multiple vehicles share the same platform.

G-bodies were never meant to be true performance cars save the GN. However, I, along with everyone on here believes that the style of these cars is attractive and that with some imagination and ingenuity, these cars can be turned into true performers.

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA

patmckinneyracing said:
The g-bodies, IMO, were the first ever mass produced set of "disposable cars".

I guess you never heard of the Chevy Vega, then... :wink:

anakputa

Master Mechanic
Nov 27, 2009

The Chevy was made out of compressed rust..My friend had to use duct tape to keep his front windshield from falling out. :rofl:

breeaad

Greasemonkey
Jun 4, 2009
Hendersonville Tennessee

patmckinneyracing said:
Then buick decided to capitalize with the release of the Grand National. As for why it was only a single turbo, the car could break 11's and 10's out of the factory. quote]

Since when did a GN run 10's-11's out of the factory??? Low 13's was about the best it got unless you threw slicks on it and bolted a few pieces out of a catalog on to it. I beat a GN at interstate speeds in my '06 Maxima company car with 200K on it. They were fast for the time, and have tons and tons of potential. But it wasn't a killer out of the box. Not to todays standards.

eocoolj

Apprentice
May 27, 2010

breeaad said:
patmckinneyracing said:
Then buick decided to capitalize with the release of the Grand National. As for why it was only a single turbo, the car could break 11's and 10's out of the factory. quote]

Since when did a GN run 10's-11's out of the factory??? Low 13's was about the best it got unless you threw slicks on it and bolted a few pieces out of a catalog on to it. I beat a GN at interstate speeds in my '06 Maxima company car with 200K on it. They were fast for the time, and have tons and tons of potential. But it wasn't a killer out of the box. Not to todays standards.

I find that almost everyone remembers all cars of the 60s, 70s, and 80s as being absolute monsters. Save for very few cars like hemis and L88 corvettes, these cars as they left the factory will get stomped all over by most new cars. The truth is anything feels fast when you are 17.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX

GN's that had the intercooler could utilize higher boost. I've seen a stock GN with turned up boost that ran a 11.2 in the quarter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor