homemade-posi

Status
Not open for further replies.

BosMobile

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 15, 2009
n.alabama,heart of dixie
Hey guys, been reseaching ''rear diffs'' couple weeks .I've seen a few mentions of adding shims to tighten an open diff,so it acts more like a posi.
I wonder how many thousants these guys talkin about?Any oldschool guys know this?
I'm thinking side carrier shims,correct?I'ts a 7.5 open /2.14.I really dont care if it breaks.These rears are plentiful and cheap ,so i'd like to try it.A starting point would be nice though.THANX BO

blown78

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 19, 2009
on my circle track car i just welded the rear end up. Thats home made. I also welded the rear on my street cat and so far it has lasted 3 years and i beat the crap outof that car

adumb

Master Mechanic
Jun 10, 2007
Western, NY
blown78 said:
on my circle track car i just welded the rear end up. Thats home made. I also welded the rear on my street cat and so far it has lasted 3 years and i beat the crap outof that car

don't the wheels hop around corners on you?

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
I did the weld thing years ago. Problem is it does weaken the metal, broke a number of them.

Also tried the extra shim deal. Stuck all the parts in the freezer overnight and packed it as tight as possible. Even had to drive the pin in.

Last for awhile ,then started going back to be a one legger.

Remember roundy round guys are on a track that allows the tires to spin, not hook.

Mini spools are cheap enough not to risk it.

blown78

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 19, 2009
going around corners on the street car the rear wheels did fight but it wasent to bad. And on the "roundy round cars" We want the tires to hook not spin. I have never had a problem in the corners with the rear welded up. I have out driven and have done alot better than the guys with the 4-500 doller lockers or posi's. Alot of guys that weld the rear sort of drift it threw the corners but if you have the correct set up you should be able to power thre the coeners with out braking loose or spinning. I know the saying is loose is fast but If youget your setup correct you should be golden. I know this has gone off topic and i appoligize.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I did the weld thing years ago. Problem is it does weaken the metal, broke a number of them.

what did you use to weld it....we use mig and never had one fail and we have a few others out there after we welded up the spiders...no problems.....

yet... :lol:

BosMobile

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 15, 2009
n.alabama,heart of dixie
Thanx for the input,i've got a minispool in my 72 cutlass/455/400/3.73 all i'm doing is drag racing right now.It worries me everytime i back up or turn.I actully expected it to break,so far its OK.I would'nt try that on the street.A friend ran same minispool and when we pulled the axles [to do it right] They were actully splintered! Never saw that before.I've got 3.23 to replace [7.5]the 2.14s.Going with aring spacer and might ''tighten'' it up a bit too!I'll report back when i break it! :lol: :lol:

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
On a street car, this is not a wise idea. It works on a track car because it sees limited street use. On a car that sees daily driving, you will eventually be bringing it home on a tow truck. If it fails in such a way that the axles slip out, it may ruin more than just your rear axle housing as the axle and wheel could slide out taking lots of expensive stuff with it. Save some cash and get a real posi. It simply isn't worth the risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor