Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

scarborough

Master Mechanic
Sep 30, 2016
Scarborough ,
First post in almost 2 years , not sure about your poll ............a drop air filter would be the easiest to try. but are you talking about a half inch or ??? to close the hood

from the south coast of Scarborough

Something like this would probably give you the clearance you need.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...oFDEIoTnIQRDat-ZzdEaAi7NEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

This one is a little (lot) pricey, but there are other ones in this style that are a lot cheaper.

thanks for info i'm restoring 87 cutlass thats a retirement gift from my son --so cut me a little slack, if question to clear at 63 yrs old im not to computer savvy--but trying. more question to come

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
cut-me-some-slack-you-must.jpg

HOAdrian

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 28, 2015
Gainesville, FL
Don't mix and match engine mounts and frame pads. As long as you match BBO mounts with BBO frame pads or SBO mounts/SBO pads. Hopefully you didn't use BBO engine mounts in your swap since the car was originally a small block.

You may want to try finding an early Toronado air cleaner. The early models had a low hood that necessitated an drop-base air cleaner. An HEI distributor may interfere depending on spacer thickness.

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
Speedway makes a great drop base 14". Somebody suggested it on here last year and worked great for me

Reactions: 1 users

breeaad

Greasemonkey
Jun 4, 2009
Hendersonville Tennessee
Spread some grease on the underside of the hood and close it gently until it makes contact. Then open the hood and find the grease on the component the hood is making contact with. Grab a 5 lb sledge and beat it in until the hood will close. Problem solved.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Using a wadded up several feet of like tin foil and sitting it on top of the carb while you carefully close the hood will tell you exactly how much room you have by how much it gets smashed. Having done the swap, you will need a drop housing with just a 2" filter which I have run to date.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mrg-4339/overview/

I am now using a Spectre low profile dual CAI 924 plenum with 4" ducts going over and forward to both front corners. Sorry no pics yet.

Michael Watts

Master Mechanic
Dec 12, 2017
You could try one from an earlier muscle car. Or put a hood scoop of some kind on the car.Maybe even a cowl hood.?

buick7332

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2014
N.E. Philadelphia area
Speedway makes a great drop base 14". Somebody suggested it on here last year and worked great for me
I also used one from speedway for my Grand Prix. I bought the flat base with the 2 inch tall paper element and it worked for me. It was only 20 bucks so it was worth trying. Also modeling clay is good for checking hood clearance.

Attachments

• 1536181324755311039602.jpg
    1536181324755311039602.jpg
    586.6 KB · Views: 314
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor