hood insulation (and yes i used the search)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member # 77 said:
Do you really need one????????????????

Depends. High compression engine, lots of heat under the hood? Summer driving? Chance of being in a traffic jam? Then yes, you need it because the heat build up has caused some g-body owners on this forum (I forget who they are) to get cracks in the paint, or faded paint, etc.. on their metal hoods (I mean over time, with extended heat build up).

We all take them off cuz they look ugly. I'm actually gonna have vents in my hood and scoop to dissipate heat, but also, I'm gonna use dynamat instead of that ugly hood padding. Should serve the purpose, but I think I'm exempt just because the hood is all fiberglass so it shouldn't be affected anyways. 😉

Just go to Ebay motors and will be able to find what you need there.

Underhood insulation not only keeps the heat off your hood it also is fireproof and acts as a dampening or anti vibration material also. I took mine off once because it was falling apart and i noticed right away that my hood would vibrate or bounce when i was driving on the highway, and i noticed that my clear coat on my hood was baking off pretty fast. I also noticed that i could not put my hand on my hood for more than 3 seconds on a summer day after driving or my hand would burn which i could before i took the insulation off. This may sound stupid but if you can't put your hand on the hood without it burning, how could you put wax on it without the same thing happening to the wax. I didn't realize all the benefits that the insulation does until i took it off i have put it back on since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor