horn question with steering wheel swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

mn84hurst

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 26, 2006
I need a little help! I swapped a 1980 Cutlas sport steering wheel in my 84 Hurst. When I connect the wire to the new horn post the whole back (metal) portion becomes live. So as soon as I touch the back of the horn to any metal piece on the wheel it honks. Any ideas?

mn84hurst

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 26, 2006
Unfortunately I'm not a mechanic. I know what an ohm meter is but I have no idea how to use it or how to test the button. Does anyone have any diagrams?
Thanks

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
You need to get the correct horn contact (turn signal cancelling cam) for the 80 sport wheel.

**Oh, wait a sec, actually you can just swap the contacts out of the cancelling cams in GM's, been working on way to many amc/jeeps :oops: , which have a similar set up, but the contact cannot be replaced.

mn84hurst

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 26, 2006
Ebay. I guess I'm confused on what part I'm looking for. Is it the metal piece the wire is connected to or the wire itself? Sorry I'm danerous when it comes to this kind of thing ( I know just enough).

anthonychacon80

Master Mechanic
May 4, 2010
i think I have the same problem. I had the granny wheel and upgraded to the sport wheel in my 1980. I had to make a "tube" out of electrical tape like a sheath that makes a surrounding for the metal shaft that the spring presses up. That keeps it from contacting the sides of the inside of the steering wheel. Works fine. Without that sheath the horn just goes off for no reason because the circuit is live.

mn84hurst

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 26, 2006
The post the wire connects to in the 1980 sport wheel is not the same as a 1984 Hurst. Had to modify it to different post on the 1980 so is wasn't always hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor