horn stop working

scarborough

Master Mechanic
Sep 30, 2016
i just install a new nrg steering wheel and i having problem getting my horn to work it was working before i installed it but now its not. don't know if i shorted it out are not. check for blown fuse but didn't find a bad one. it 87 olds cutlass any suggestion on a fix will be appreciated.

s-l1600.jpg

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
You will need to remove horn button and check that the horn connector will ground to the horn ring when you press it.

Attached is basic schematic and pin layout of the connector at base of steering column.

Pin 28 is the horn...

Screenshot_20230711-023147.png

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
It's hard for me to read that drawing but (I think it's) E and F. If you jump those two together. The problem is in your new horn switch and everything going to the relay is good.

scarborough

Master Mechanic
Sep 30, 2016
You will need to remove horn button and check that the horn connector will ground to the horn ring when you press it.

Attached is basic schematic and pin layout of the connector at base of steering column.

Pin 28 is the horn...

View attachment 224250
thanks for the info. sooo where is the horn relay located. this new territory for me .

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
I would not worry about the relay if it worked before changing the wheel. The horn button controls the ground of the relay control coil it would just honk the horn if it was shorted to ground.

Without seeing how the horn on that steering wheel works (there is nothing of value on the NRG website.) and without knowing what the previous steering wheel used to connect the horn circuit it would be difficult to help.

The old wheel would have been only one of two connections, a button or a wire that bayonets into the turn signal cancel cam inside the steering column.

Need more info to help.

Reactions: 1 user

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
A lot of times the relay is bolted to the radiator support near the horns, but as ELCAM said, I wouldn't worry about the relay if everything was working prior to the change.

Most likely the contact isn't grounding when you press the horn button. Need to figure out why, once done and repaired/readjusted, horn should work just fine

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
A lot of times the relay is bolted to the radiator support near the horns, but as ELCAM said, I wouldn't worry about the relay if everything was working prior to the change.

Most likely the contact isn't grounding when you press the horn button. Need to figure out why, once done and repaired/readjusted, horn should work just fine
The horn relay is attached the dash in the same area the fuse box is. It'll be square with three terminals. The key & seatbealt buzzers are with it.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor