How can I verify a 79 Hurst?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rs74

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 22, 2010
Illinois
I put a feeler out on a local page for either a 79 Cutlass or 85-87 442. This guy sent me a couple of pics of his 79 Hurst. I have yet to call him but wanted to see what I should be checking for if I pursue this inquiry. It is a T-top car that is disassembled. I have a pic of the header panel but it doesn't look like my 79 Cutlass. His grille doesn't transition over the top of the header panel. Is it all in the VIN for verification if it is tore down this far? Looks like a lot of work to me just from the pics but I haven't talked to him yet to see what shape any of the body is in or the frame.
79Hurst.jpg
79Hurst1.jpg

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Those Hurst cars came with a 350 Olds engine in that model year, didn't they? Is there any way to decode the VIN to determine the engine code?
I believe the header panel in the photo is the correct one for a Hurst car. Not all Cutlass models had the same header panel/grill setup that year.

rs74

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 22, 2010
Illinois
Posting from my phone so bear with me. Called the guy. Car was disassembled when he bought it and sanded down to metal. So what I thought was brown paint is surface rust now. Been sitting in a garage for the last nine years.

Some parts are missing. He has an olds 350 and trans. He also has a chevy drivetrain as well. $500 takes all of it. He is sending more pics later so I will post them later. He said he picked it up in Iowa from a guy who liked the 83 Hurst and had a few of them.

rs74

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 22, 2010
Illinois
Sorry for the monster size pics. I was told that the previous owner took out the t-top and door weather stripping so it is not there. I did ask about the trim behind the tops for the roof and he said he thought he had it in the pile of parts. It looks like the drivers quarter has had some work and some of it has been pulled out from the looks of it. He said it has had some work done on the rear frame rails but it is hard to tell exactly what from the pics.

This isn't what I was looking for in a car to fix up if I didn't use the 79 that I have had for the last 23+ years. On the other had it is a Hurst and I was going to be stripping mine down kind of like this to start on my vision of a build. I have yet to look at this car but I find myself on the fence about something. My thought on my build doesn't include a Hurst style build meaning I am not painting the car to look like a Hurst or have the interior back to stock. I am wanting to find a 85-87 (preferably 87) 442 interior, dash, wiring and all and swap it in along with possibly the same year 442 paint scheme on the 79 style body. T-top cars are pretty hard to find to start with but having a Hurst should I build it how I want or try to find someone to restore it to it's former glory and look for another.

79Hurst8.jpg
79Hurst7.jpg
79Hurst6.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor