How Much Is A 3.8 Turbo Engine Worth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
I found one, it's an 84 that is carborated, they claim its low milage its complete top to bottom, no trans. It's been stored in a garage and they want 600 or B/O which seems like a really good deal to me but I'm wondering what you guys think

also what goes into an electrical conversion (not to mention the trans/rear) of a regular 3.8 to the t-type 3.8 turbo?

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
redsx2434 said:
I found one, it's an 84 that is carborated, they claim its low milage its complete top to bottom, no trans.

Well, at a minimum "they" are wrong about the year, because the last carb'd turbo 3.8 was built in 1983. Ask "them" what else they're wrong about...

pose_442

Greasemonkey
Feb 12, 2007
The trans/rear combo for a T-type from 84-87 is a TH200-4R and an 8.5" rear with 3.42:1 ratio IIRC. Not sure on the 78-83 setup.

Also the TH200-4R has a little more agressive valve body for firmer shifts, and to handle the torque that those turbo 6's put out.

Vern

Master Mechanic
Jul 23, 2007
Dayton, OH
An actual 84 would have a good turbo block but as stated would not be carberated. An 84 block & crank etc would easily be worth $300 to somebody who needs one. Like a guy who races them and has torn up his block. But for a conversion even if it is an 84 you would need to educate yourself on what would be involved first. I would check turbobuick(s).com for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor