How much is usable from '85 Olds 88 Wagon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

waggin

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 10, 2009
Puget Sound, WA
I can pick up a wagon with the OD (assuming 200R4, but I'll check the pan configuration) w/under 100k mi for around $400. Supposedly it's a great runner, but the body & interior are beat. Another car is needed like another hole in the head right now, but the addiction must be fed! Actually, I'd just scavenge the good stuff & take the rest in for scrap. Besides, parts collecting is fun. I haven't seen the car yet, just talked to them on the phone. Want to make sure this is worth my while before I drive up to look.

My guess is this is a 307/TH200R4 w/carburetor. Seller confirmed it's an auto w/OD, but didn't know much else.

For the trans, these are all dual pattern bellhousings, right?
What electronics & linkages will I need to take from the car before scrapping to make the OD & lockup work properly? I'll keep the driveshaft for the front yoke too.

For the front spindles, the wagons have the big spindles w/big rotors. How transferrable are these to G-bodies?

I assume the rear is an 8.5", but it won't share much in components w/the G-body rear ends. If by some miracle it has a posi, would that transfer over to my 8.5" G-body rear?

Anything else I should be interested in on this car?

Thanks in advance.

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
waggin said:
I can pick up a wagon with the OD (assuming 200R4, but I'll check the pan configuration) w/under 100k mi for around $400. Supposedly it's a great runner, but the body & interior are beat. Another car is needed like another hole in the head right now, but the addiction must be fed! Actually, I'd just scavenge the good stuff & take the rest in for scrap. Besides, parts collecting is fun. I haven't seen the car yet, just talked to them on the phone. Want to make sure this is worth my while before I drive up to look.

My guess is this is a 307/TH200R4 w/carburetor. Seller confirmed it's an auto w/OD, but didn't know much else.

For the trans, these are all dual pattern bellhousings, right?
What electronics & linkages will I need to take from the car before scrapping to make the OD & lockup work properly? I'll keep the driveshaft for the front yoke too.

For the front spindles, the wagons have the big spindles w/big rotors. How transferrable are these to G-bodies?

I assume the rear is an 8.5", but it won't share much in components w/the G-body rear ends. If by some miracle it has a posi, would that transfer over to my 8.5" G-body rear?

Anything else I should be interested in on this car?

Thanks in advance.

That will be a VIN Y 307 and 200-4R. That was the only drivetrain option in the Custom Cruiser in 85. Yes, it will be an 8.5 axle. Yes, the housing is different, in fact, the wagon housings are wider than the B-body sedan housings to allow room for a sheet of plywood to fit flat inside the wagon. Yes, the posi carrier will fit if it has one.

The VIN Y motor will have the electronic CCC Qjet. The 200-4R should be a unisex case. Little else is common with the G-body cars, though the wagon will have the 12" front brakes and 11" back drums if you want to do the conversion.

PM me about parts. I have 84 and 86 wagons and need some parts.

waggin

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 10, 2009
Puget Sound, WA
So I looked at this car today. The owner is claiming 80k original miles; the odometer said 60k; the car looked like either of those with at least another 100k in front of it. What a disgusting POS! I came home & changed my clothes...seriously. They're claiming they bought it from the original owner, yet there were junkyard #'s on the rear end, core support, and somewhere else. Sure, original owner :bs: Fired up & ran smoothly though, but I didn't have a place to test it up to much speed. Trans didn't seem to slip or anything, but the exhaust is so quiet on these, it's hard to really feel/hear things. Fluid looked clean & didn't smell toasty. Trans pan definitely had some dings. I may go back & test it again next week if it's still around. I'll have to bring some gas though plus maybe a trip permit to take it for a longer drive. (We're in a city, and the tags expired over a year ago.)

The main thing I want from this would be the trans, and I'd pull the big brakes/spindles from the front end as well. Not sure anything else would be usable from the heap. Does anyone ever buy 307 Olds motors? I'm guessing most people don't want them. My gut feel is to drive it again & if the trans seems ok, insult them with a $200 offer. Maybe they'll take it. Don't think it's going to fetch much more, as this thing is trashed.

What do you folks think? Is it worth the hassle for a functional 200R4 & the brakes?

pose_442

Greasemonkey
Feb 12, 2007
Double check the wheel bolt pattern. Most wagons had the 5-lug 5" pattern instead of the 4-3/4" pattern. I'm not aware of any B-Body wagons with the 4-3/4" pattern.

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
if your gut tells you this is not what they claim it to be, then walk away. dont even think of putting out even a weak offer. they're most likely lying at you as they smile and that IMO is insulting and the entire reason you should walk away. i dont care how low they go, it wont be worth it. who knows what that car may do in 2-3 months. it could end up costing you more in the long run. better off paying more for a nicer car than one that looks and probably is a rebuild from a junkyard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor