how much will a stock '76 truck motor take?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skife

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 10, 2006
cedar springs, mi / Lima, oh
i've got a '76 350 chevy truck motor, the motor is reletivly low miles, how much power will the bottom end take?

its a 4bolt main block too.

Just wondering because i'm debating in my head on a boneyard turbo setup.
running about 7psi of boost it should hit around 400-450hp

You should be able to pull close to that hp before putting a low boost on it. Set your goals higher. :lol: Everything I've read say about 400-450 with stock components you can do more but your playing with a timebomb.

I've been researching the same type of project. If you are going to run boost then eventually you will want stronger internals. If you are like me 7 PSI sounds good until you want 10 or higher. Everyone I know who has done a boosted small block over 7 PSI does some internal work. Last thing you want is chunks of your piston in your oil pan. Most well done boosted 350+ cars have a lower compression, forged pistons, new connecting rods(H beam is best). That will cover you for additional power if you want it later on. That's if it's an older 350, the LS1, LS2 5.7 does not really need any mods for that power. You tube shows a guy running 28 psi on a stock LS1 on a 1500 Chevy truck.

A 4-Bolt Main block should take a lot of power. If its a 010 High Nickle block all the better. You'd be able to build a solid motor on that. Make sure you go with a steel crank and buy aftermarket internals and you'll be good to go. I'd build a high compression high reving motor over a boosted one. But thats just me! I'd deff. aim higher than 400 HP! 😀

but with the turbo wouldn't you get better millage as long as you don't spool them up? I mean 450+ HP is okay but that much with some millage is great!

it is stated that the new PM (powdered metal) GM rods that come in the injected trucks are capable of handling up to 500hp. they are gms replacement for the older PINK rods.

this is one alternative to aftermarket rods.

i am a low budget junkyard type of guy. lol :twisted:

High comp. with low boost will get the same hp as low comp. with high boost. With a turbo etherway you'll have to run hightest so why not build the motor 9-9.5 comp then you should be close to 400 mark then put the boost on. My kids grandpa builds top fuel engines. He speced out a 355 for me with parts that I got cheap but there high dome pistons (13-14:1 on a small cc head. I told him I was thinking of a sc in the future and he said no problem just run a larger cc head to get the comp down to 9.5-10:1 and lower boost. That would get the same performance as low comp. and higher boost on the sc.

Also with higher compression when boosting the turbo spools quicker.

I would go the turbo route, seems like a neat project!

well i was thinking 9-9.5. but some people run higher. A guy I saw was running 11.5 and spooled up the turbos. The short of it.. it was real ugly. 9.5 would be good. But then do you have to worry about vacuum? People want to sell u those reserve tanks when u get a turbo set up. is that really needed for the brake booster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor