how much would it cost to sleeve a block?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ERIC87442

G-Body Guru
Jul 18, 2009
Monroe, Wisconsin
I am wondering how much do you think it cost to sleeve one cylinder on an Oldsmobile block? Some of you may have seen my other thread and seen that one of my rings came apart and destroyed my piston and left a nice .030 deep gouge in my cylinder wall. :shock:

i would go to your local machinist, tell him the general situation and get his opinion. I dont know if we have any full time machinists on the forum but your certainly going to get the best opinion out of them

thats what im gonna do when i get time to lol, no time during the week my only day off i gotta do other crap. so i wanted to see if anyone had a rough guess maybe they did it before or they are a machinist or something

Don't they sell .040 over pistons for that engine? I know they do for the 350, but not sure about the 307.

they do, but that wont help me, its a .030 deep gouge on one side of the cylinder wall, it would have to be bored at least .060 over to get it out. boring it .040 over would only take .020 off of the gouge. i wish that were the case 🙁 i think .060 over would be way too much, wouldnt it? thats why im gonna see if sleeving it was a cheep way to go, i have to get atleast 2 pistons i know so far, the one for this cylinder and one for cylinder number 7 that looks like it was on the same path as this one, i think its just crazy that a 48k mile engine did this. its real clean inside the block too, no crap like it was neglected or anything, and theres documentation that its only 48k on it. :wtf:

ERIC87442 said:
they do, but that wont help me, its a .030 deep gouge on one side of the cylinder wall, it would have to be bored at least .060 over to get it out. boring it .040 over would only take .020 off of the gouge. i wish that were the case 🙁 i think .060 over would be way too much, wouldnt it? thats why im gonna see if sleeving it was a cheep way to go, i have to get atleast 2 pistons i know so far, the one for this cylinder and one for cylinder number 7 that looks like it was on the same path as this one, i think its just crazy that a 48k mile engine did this. its real clean inside the block too, no crap like it was neglected or anything, and theres documentation that its only 48k on it. :wtf:

Good point, I wasn't thinking about that :doh:

Yea, .060 would probably take it too far, plus that would be the last time the engine could be bored. I am thinking sleeving them would be around $100-150 a cylinder, but it may be more. I don't see them being over $200 each, but I could be wrong. Another route you could go is to get a running vin Y 307 and swap all the vin 9 pieces over. I think the only difference is the cam, but I am not sure. People usually give those engines away.

did the Y engine have the roller cam like the 9? i dont remember, i have another 87 9 engine but its probably junk its been sitting forever and it rattled and got hot and so forth when i last ran it about 5 years ago, im lookin for the cheapest easyest way, its not gonna be a performance machine i just want it to be a nice stock cruiser. something i can get in on the weekends start it up go for a drive for a bit then park it, no time or money to race or do any performance building lol

sorry to high jackt he forum but what exactly is sleeving the engin? i've never heard of it befor. Is it pretty much putting a coating in the cylinder walls to cover or fill in any scratches or dents that may be in the walls?

84cutlassjuggalo said:
sorry to high jackt he forum but what exactly is sleeving the engin? i've never heard of it befor. Is it pretty much putting a coating in the cylinder walls to cover or fill in any scratches or dents that may be in the walls?
if im correct they bore it over a whole bunch and then the punch a sleeve inside the cylinder

what is the sleeve though? is it a coating or a pice of material and how much would they boar it over befor aplication of the sleeve, cause like you said boring it .040 would only get rid of .020 so wold they use what ever the sleeve is to cover or fill in the other .010? also are they only able to boar .030 then .040 and .060(max?) or would it be possible to boar .050 becasue as stated previously .040 would only cover .020 so theoretically speaking wouldn't a .050 boar (if possible) remove the .030 gash

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor